Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2006, 04:27 PM

I need to keep in touch with a family member and care provider while I am gone to Europe. Can anyone tell me what I do and do the phone cards work that you buy online. What is the best way?
Thanks for the help
Old 09-28-2006, 08:17 PM

A little more information would be useful. I would assume you are talking about going to Europe on a cruise since you are on a cruise forum. But you need to provide more information about WHERE in Europe you will b for us to be able to provide any info on phones and calling cards.

IF you are going on a cruise. You can be called on the ship if there is an emergency. Its not cheap, so I would only use that for emergencies. (You can call ship to shore also but the $$ applies there too). For basic contact (status updates etc) if the caregiver has access to a computer, you can rent time in the ship's internet cafe andkeep in touch with email or even instant messenger if the time zone changes don't mess with that.

Cell phone usage gets trickier depending on which countries you are going to and which cell provider you use and their international calling plans. But the cell phone would only work while you were in port anyway.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 09-28-2006, 08:35 PM

Thank you ,Jim
I am going on the Celebrity Milleniuum. I will be in Italy and Greece mostly.
I have read on the internet about some phone cards to use while in Port to call out of Italy with. I was wondering if they are good to use and are easy to use. Has anyone used them in the past?
Thank you for your response.
Old 09-29-2006, 08:17 AM

Well, personnelly, I'd just use my AT&T card. They have access numbers in most every country and then you don't have to worry about having enough money on the pre paid cards.

Call your long distance provider and ask them if they have a similar calling card if not AT&T. I have not used the international cards.

IF you do go that route, an idea was brought up on her some time back that if you buy a bigger cash value calling card, and don't use all the minutes on it, you can give it to your room steward our waiter as a "tip" because they call home from those ports almost every cruise and to be able to do it for "free" would be a nice thing.

If you want to use your cell phone, again you'll have to call your provider because not all phones can do international roaming. If you tell them where you are going and what phone you have, they call "activate" international roaming on it if possible.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 09-29-2006, 10:43 AM

Thank you,
All good ideas!
Old 09-29-2006, 11:06 AM

Buying a phone card in port is probably the least expensive way to "call home". If you decide to take that route, the way to take full advantage of the advertised "minutes" is to make the connection and keep talking until it runs dry. Calling cards typically have a "hidden" charge (called a bong charge) every time you make a connection and can range from 50 cents to a dollar+.

Closed Thread

Tags
card, cards, carnival, cruise, cruises, crusie, europe, international, ncl, phone, reviews, ships, sim, valor, work