Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2008, 10:11 AM
I was wondering why certain cruiselines only go to certain places. For example, I want to go to Montego Bay, but Carnival only goes to Ochos Rios. So, therefore, I have to pick another cruiseline. Could Carnival ever go to Montego Bay? Just wondering on how the decision is made....

Old 12-16-2008, 10:11 AM
I was wondering why certain cruiselines only go to certain places. For example, I want to go to Montego Bay, but Carnival only goes to Ochos Rios. So, therefore, I have to pick another cruiseline. Could Carnival ever go to Montego Bay? Just wondering on how the decision is made....

Old 12-16-2008, 10:27 AM

Lots of politics, money, and safety concerns are involved. Plus the amount of cruise time, port time, whether the port can handle the ship size, amount of ships, number of dock workers, pilots, etc. I personally believe you're not missing a thing by not going to Montego Bay. It's not much different than Ocho Rios, not as many attractions, and it seemed to me that it was surrounded by more poverty. Will Canival go there, perhaps. You could take an excursion to Montego Bay from Ocho Rios, but would take up most of your day and would be pricey. It would give you some view of the country side.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:10 AM

Carnival does go to Montego Bay. The Conquest out of Galveston goes to MB. I am pretty sure that they do this because of the fuel savings that they realize by not sailing the length of island to get to Ochos Rios. Its the other way around for me. We have only been to MB. We took a cruise out of Miami one time that was supposed to stop in Ochos Rios but due to a hurricane we got diverted to MB... so we have never been there.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 12-17-2008, 07:45 AM

quote:
Carnival does go to Montego Bay. The Conquest out of Galveston goes to MB.

Yes, she does! Great catch Jim!

And Penny, is on the money too about what goes into making these decisions. Notice Carnival no longer stops at St.Croix due to a combination of the reasons Penny noted.

Dwayne
Old 12-17-2008, 10:22 AM

I'd love to visit St. Croix again, great island or at least it was. Maybe on one of our trips we can catch the ferry. I haven't been there since I was 16, shouldn't say this but it was 40 years ago
Old 12-17-2008, 10:32 AM
Administrator

Wasn't there a crime issue with removing St. Croix from itineraries?

When I was in the military we'd stop there. I always liked the place, better than St. Thomas since it wasn't so crowded.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:05 AM
St Croix is great! Only thing the pilot was always so lat when we arrived that we were almost alongside before he was onboard

But - as you say, Dave - far better than St Thomas because it was less crowded.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 12-17-2008, 11:20 AM

quote:
Wasn't there a crime issue with removing St. Croix from itineraries?

Yes there was. And the last straw was when several crew members were beaten and robbed. Bob Dickinson pulled the plug on St.Croix being a port on Carnival itineraries.

Dwayne
Old 12-17-2008, 11:26 AM

I truly love St. Croix. A chemical engineering roommate of mine from (cough) Auburn University landed a job with an Amerada Hess oil refinery located in St. Croix (lucky #$@*&). When I would visit him, he showed me culture and scenery that would have to be seen to be believed. As far as Montego Bay is concerned, I love the song by Bobby Bloom but I will not go back there until Jamaica issues me a pistol permit. Bobsled team or not, their security leaves a lot to be desired.

Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, itineraries, lines, pick