Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2007, 03:40 PM

"I strenuously object", Carl. (I'm kidding, just loved that line.)
Old 04-30-2007, 03:43 PM

Don't strain too much Chef.. you'll pull something you don't want pulled...
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013

quote:
Originally posted by goin' cruisin':
Regarding the contradiction previously noted, I'd hazard a guess that the OP was referencing a kinder, gentler nation of days past, and is wistfully wishing for a return to those days, as opposed to the direction the populace has taken in recent years.

To which I offer loud approval.

I sure would like to hope so Ken. Hope your weather is good up there. We have thunder but no rain. Could use a good storm though, minus the high winds, hail and tornadoes of course. I just want a good SAFE thunderstorm.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:47 PM
Administrator

You know, I think goin' cruisn' may be on to something - about the kinder, gentler nation of old.

I am personally tired of the whiners we have to deal with every day in the U.S.A. (see the USA in Chevrolet!). People used to complain less. The little annoyances of everyday life were dismissed with a shrug and sigh, but now they are the cause for epic displays of whining and crying.

As The Eagles said in song "Get Over It"!!!
Old 04-30-2007, 03:52 PM
Banned

I hazard to say this (don't want to incite anything and get banned),but I'm going to anyway: daddyx2 may be right in that the US has a fair number (I won't say full) of spoiled people. As Dave said "People used to complain less. The little annoyances of everyday life were dismissed with a shrug and sigh, but now they are the cause for epic displays of whining and crying." Little annoyances over which people whine about just might be a sign of spoiledness (is that a word?). Why, we've even seen it, dare I say, here!
Old 04-30-2007, 03:53 PM

I thought maybe the thread would turn toward movie lines but Eagles is good. Eagles "are" good?

Instant gratification comes to mind as a mantra for our culture. People want happiness NOW. I told my son that you don't go after happiness, it comes to you as a result of living with integrity, purpose and extending kindness at your own expense.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:58 PM
Administrator

Society used to accept that people could have a bad day, and we could therefore overlook the random transgression. Sadly, there are too many people these days that expect everyone else to be perfect at all times, eventhough the whiner is also an imperfect being,
Old 04-30-2007, 04:10 PM
Banned

Well stated, Ken. It is a lesson that many within our society never learned, and hence, are unable to pass on to their offspring.

Those random acts of kindness are invaluable, too.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:34 PM

Well Dave and Ken- I hate to say you are correct about the whiners. But that is what you get after raising at least one if not two generations of yound adults that 1) Never lost in a sport because "it would hurt their feelings to lose so we don't keep score" 2) Are passed in school despite their actual grades "no child left behind" 3) Are never to blame for something they did because someone else MUST have done something to enable their bad behavior (endless lawsuits over accidents that could have been avoided by a little common sense) 4) never had to deal with life's little disappointments (everyone makes the team/band/squad... whatever despite their actual skill leverl)

I hate to sound like an old fart but people no longer hold themselves responsible for any actions in their lives..its always some "syndrome or disorder" its never because we just had a bad day or couldn't control ourselves. Great example is the recent Virgina Tech shooting. Immediately, the news reporters were out trying to figure out who to blame for this guy doing what he did. Like it couldn't possibly be his fault. He had to have been driven to do it. Rubbish. The poor guy (and his victims) was suffering from an obvious mental problem. Could it have been caught? Maybe. But we would have had to violate his "civil rights" to get him help.. we can't have that can we? What about the right to live of his victims? As a WORLD, we have gotten to the point where we are so obcessed with protecting other peoples feelings that we have grown a whole generation of people that can't deal with the simple disappoints that life brings you.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013

Closed Thread

Tags
chevrolet, cruise, port, see, song, usa, world