Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2003, 11:18 AM

Hi,
Last year I took an 11 day cruise on the celebrity galaxy to the west caribeean and had a great time. My fiance and I would like a low key wedding and would love to get married on a cruise. Anyone have any experiences or suggestions? I would love any input.
Jessica

Jessica Griffith
Old 12-29-2003, 11:18 AM

Hi,
Last year I took an 11 day cruise on the celebrity galaxy to the west caribeean and had a great time. My fiance and I would like a low key wedding and would love to get married on a cruise. Anyone have any experiences or suggestions? I would love any input.
Jessica

Jessica Griffith
Old 12-29-2003, 02:23 PM

Jessica, you have to get married on land - the ship's captain doesn't have authority to perform marriages (at least not ones that are recognized in the U.S.) My suggestion would be to get married before the cruise, in the port of departure, and spend your honeymoon on the cruise. I have seen several wedding parties who did that, and had some beautiful wedding photos shot onboard (in full wedding dress.)

It is possible, with foresight and lots of pre-arranging, to get married on most of the Caribbean islands, but many of them require several days' stay beforehand - impossible on a cruise, of course - and even if they don't, there is a chance the ship may skip that port of call on your cruise if the seas are especially rough, a storm is coming, or if there are any civil disturbances in the port.
Old 12-29-2003, 02:55 PM

Actually, you can get married on a cruise. Princess is the only line that can do it, but we were married by Captain Bernard Warner at sea on board the Golden Princess in November. The ship has to be registered in Bermuda and the Captian has to be licensed there (Our marriage certificate is from Bermuda).

It was FANTASTIC! All week long people would stop us on the ship and ask "Are you the couple that got married?" Unfortunately this was usually followed with "The bride looked so beautiful!". Unfortunate because it began to get hard to get my bride's swollen ego into the mini-suite we had

I'd say go for it. How many people do you know who got married by the captian at sea?

Derrick
Old 12-30-2003, 04:14 AM

Hi Jessica,

Derrick is correct. On those Princess ships registered in Bermuda you can get married on board. Princess also offers some very nice packages. Your favorite travel agent should be able to tell you everything you might be looking for.

Best regards,

Raoul Fiebig
Das Ruderhaus

Raoul Fiebig

Old 12-30-2003, 05:58 AM

Thank you for the information. I am going to look into it. It sounds so wonderful and a lot less stressful. It also ends up being cheaper than a traditional wedding. I am hoping our family will just come on the cruise with us. My boyfriend and I live in Delaware and his family is out in Nebraska so it could be a family reunion/wedding/vacation all in one.

Jessica Griffith

Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, married