Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2009, 12:16 PM
I don't see anything on these River Cruises and I am really thinking of doing one of these next year, is there any where in this forum I missed?

Cruise Countdown Tickers
Old 08-22-2009, 04:43 PM

Janfred,
They would fall under the "All Other Cruise Lines". River cruises is a Niche cruise and not as many people have done them as they have the major cruise lines. I did a wonderful Christmas Market river cruise on the Danube last December from Vienna to Nuremburg. I did it on Avalon Waterways and loved it. There are mainly four river cruise suppliers. Avalon, AMA Waterways (formerly called Amadeus), Uniworld, and Viking. They can be very similar in price, but the thing to look at are the inclusions, age of ships, and square footage of cabins. AMA and Avalon ships have the newest ships in their fleet. Avalon's cabins have larger square footage on an average at 172sq ft. Avalon, AMA, and Uniworld include wine, beer, and soft drinks with dinner, Viking doesn't, although they have been offering some specially priced packages where wine is included. Viking has been having some attractive 2 for 1 pricing but you have to really look at the small print and bottom line. I think all four have some type of shore excursions included . A lot of these are walking tours. I loved my Christmas Market cruise and can't wait to do another river cruise. I've also done a river cruise on the Yangtze. I'd like to try the Rhine next or the Mekong.
Old 08-23-2009, 05:27 AM
Cruise Fanatic,
Thank you, great information. I have tried to go on the Christmas one but with my husband in Retail we can never go anywhere in Dec. I called his boss last year and told him I was surprising Fred and asked for special permission to let him off for 9 days (he has been with them 20 years) he said no, to tell you the truth I was shocked, I felt for sure he would have made an exception but! How wonderful you did the Yangtze, that is on my list too. Oh heck my list is so long. I found a book from Discovery Channel call Great River Cruises at Barnes & Nobles so I off to get reading it thanks again

Cruise Countdown Tickers
Old 08-23-2009, 06:32 AM

Hear a lot of advertising locally for Viking River Cruises and they do sound fasinating to me and may consider one in the future as well if the pricing is right.

Peterl

Read and post cruise reviews

Closed Thread

Tags
ama, avalon, christmas, compared, cruise, cruises, french, market, reviews, river, uniworld, versus, viking, vs, waterways