Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2007, 01:40 AM

Hi as a person of simple needs, I have read a number of threads about things to do onboard,I like days at sea, it gives me time to indulge in any of the many things I enjoy, I love lying on the balcony with a good book and my everclear spritzer from about, 3pm to about 6pm then 40 winks ( uk term for a short nap) into the jetbath, then Dinner at 8.30, then its party time. So what book do you read onboard and when, my current fav author is Mr C Hitchens. Kalo Taxidi
Old 05-17-2007, 01:40 AM

Hi as a person of simple needs, I have read a number of threads about things to do onboard,I like days at sea, it gives me time to indulge in any of the many things I enjoy, I love lying on the balcony with a good book and my everclear spritzer from about, 3pm to about 6pm then 40 winks ( uk term for a short nap) into the jetbath, then Dinner at 8.30, then its party time. So what book do you read onboard and when, my current fav author is Mr C Hitchens. Kalo Taxidi
Old 05-17-2007, 05:57 AM
Banned

Currently, I am reading "Wicked" by Gregory Maguire. Based on the life and times of the wicked witch of the west. I am seeing the Broadway play next month.

I like to read up on deck while I'm sitting in the glorious, caribbean sun. Every so often, looking up from my book, to marvel at nothing but beautiful blue sea.
A'ndrea
Old 05-17-2007, 06:03 AM
Banned

How about Barbara Derrah Smiths book, Terror at Sea. True Tales of Shipwrecks, Cannibalism, Pirates, Fire at Sea, and Other Dire Disasters in the 18th & 19th Centuries.

Just a little light reading to help me sleep better.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:22 AM

We like to read too. I read "chick books," which probably won't appeal to you, Steve, but my hubby enjoys mystery and adventure series. We usually arrive primed with a couple paperbacks; many ship libraries now have a free trade-in section, so when you finish one you brought from home, you can trade it for another.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:32 AM

Karen I hope I may call you Karen is a chick book what we call a Bodice Ripper a period piece were the sex is not graffic more in the mind, if so you are right it is more the domain of my wife, but any written word is good, Andreas comments are spot on, Carig with the Welsh name, I also like a good dire disaster, kalo taxidi
quote:
Originally posted by Karen Knowlton:
We like to read too. I read "chick books," which probably won't appeal to you, Steve, but my hubby enjoys mystery and adventure series. We usually arrive primed with a couple paperbacks; many ship libraries now have a free trade-in section, so when you finish one you brought from home, you can trade it for another.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:51 AM
Banned

This may be predictable, given I met the guy last week, but Joseph D. Pistone's "Donnie Brasco: My Undercover Life in the Mafia," "The Way of the Wise Guy," and "Donnie Brasco: Unfinished Business" are three books that I'd recommend. Real good crime, non-fiction books.
If those don't grab you, how about Tolstoy's "War and Peace?"
Old 05-17-2007, 11:40 AM

I really don't read for entertainment. I read to attempt to learn or become a better person. Used to read for the fantasy element, but not since James Herriot's All Creatures series.

I recently read John Adams, not a thriller but fascinating. Flags of our father's, by James Bradley, Good to Great by Jim Collins, Winning by Jack Welch and more recently, The Kingdom Within by John Sanders.

On the veranda of my stateroom, I write. I write ideas, my theology, procedures, recipes and I make plans.

The pool deck has too many distractions for me. You will find me on any sunny spot near the bow.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:51 AM

I hope that didn't come off like arrogance, just the opposite. If anything, I think my attention span is too short to be able to read a novel, mystery or thriller.

What were we talking about?
Old 05-17-2007, 12:31 PM

I love Patricia Cornwell! I love to read crime stories using forensic science to solve them. She is a forensic pathologist in real life, so her stories are probably more real than fiction. I have read all her books!

Closed Thread