Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2007, 08:05 AM

So excited. Leaving June 1. I know we have to leave our Rx meds in original containers but how about vitamins & supplements? Some of ours are in such big bottles & have like 500 in them or 250. Couldn't we put them in smaller containers & just label them?
Old 05-25-2007, 01:23 PM

We usually carry the large containers with us, but I would think it would be ok to put them in smaller ones. I guess if they could get picky.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:23 PM

I heard on another forum board that you had to leave the meds in their original bottles. I did that last cruise in addition to having some in a separate container. The security people at the airport didn't bat an eye at the meds that were loose. This time I have meds in two separate containers. I don't see a problem.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Victory, CCL Imagination, CCL Victory

Past Cruzes: RCCL Navigator, RCCL Majesty, CCL Destiny,
Glory (2007),Liberty (2007), Fantasy (2007), Destiny (2006), PofAm (2005), Inspiration (2005), Fascination (2004), Victory (2004), Fascination (2004), RCCL VOS(2003), Fantasy (1999)
Old 05-26-2007, 05:59 PM
Banned

IB Cruzin' is right. No one will bother you in regard to the vitamins. We traveled with Vitamin C, Multi-Vitamins and Airborne. No one said anything. The Vitamin C and Multi-Vitamins were loose. If you feel more comfortable, check them through and only carry on your RX meds in their original containers.
A'ndrea
Old 05-27-2007, 11:00 AM

When I read the TSA guidelines prior to my most recent flight in March, I was under the impression that medications in original containers pertained to liquids. I can't imagine why TSA would care about pills unless they're liquid filled maybe. I never carry my original pill bottles and have never had a problem.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:20 AM
Administrator

The TSA rules are indeed about liquids only, not pills. TSA is not going to hassle someone over how they are carrying dry drugs. On the other hand, Customs and Border Protection can do so and they have, but my impression is they only invoke their authority in this area when it suits them - such as when they want to make an impression on a wise guy. And then there is the time the Customs people in West Palm Beach had Rush Limbaugh arrested because he had a ****** pill without a prescription. Of course that charge was later dropped. Customs at West Palm Beach airport have a reputation for being jerks.

I take four different meds daily and order them in 90-day supplies. It just doesn't make sense for me to carry the whole supply along on a cruise, since things could get lost and then I'd get home and not have any medication. So I take along enough to cover my cruise (plus 3 extra days for "just in case") and pack these pills in smaller containers.
Old 05-27-2007, 12:28 PM
Administrator

I do as Dave does, with one additional step. For each presecription, I also carry on the presecription information page provided by the pharmacy, that includes the name of the medication, prescribing physician, pharmacy name, phone number, etc. I keep it handy in case TSA or Customs wants to see it. So far, no one has asked.
Old 05-27-2007, 01:31 PM
Administrator

As usual, Lisa makes the most sense. I really should bring copies of the prescription info along in case someone asks about it. Plus, it could be used to facilitate an emergency refill if needed.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:01 AM

Thanks loads for all the help. We're going to do what Dave & Linda suggest. It will definitely make it easier.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:14 PM
The TSA restrictions put in place after the thwarted terrorist plot in England last year on Aug. 9th, pertain only to liquids. If you have liquid medicine make sure it is in its original bottle and/or has its prescription sticker on the bottle.

I talked to the TSA at the airport and they told me this.

They also said, make sure you get rid of your bottles of drinking water,gatorade, cans of soda, and large bottles of shampoo and other large liquid toiletries before you get to the security checkpoint.

What is worse, is that some people arriving back from their cruise are still trying to pass their bottles of Duty-Free liquor with them through the checkpoint (instead of checking them in), that will end-up being a costly mistake.

Closed Thread

Tags
bottles, bring, carrying, container, cruise, flights, guidelines, medicine, original, prescriptions, rules, ship, tsa, vitamin, vitamins