Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2003, 08:47 PM

I hate to be the know-it-all, but in this instance it seems appropriate. Muster stations are assigned by cabin numbers. Assuming that you and your spouse will be sharing the same cabin you would also be in the same lifeboat, together. The muster drill (mandated by maritime law) will introduce you to the procedure of ship evacuation should it become necessary.

While there is no question that you and your husband would be in the same lifeboat. It would be your husband's decision as to when he would board the lifeboat. He could be the first in or the last. I guess it would depend on his (or your) compassion for other people stuck in the same panic situation.

I have personally been on over 300 cruises and have never heard the call for women and children first when abandoning ship. However, I would like to think I would be the last one to board a lifeboat after everyone else was safely aboard if the situation ever occurred.

Just my opinion.

Tom
Old 02-20-2003, 09:48 PM

Thanks Tom!
Hope this puts an end to this discussion. Everyone has opinions, but when it keeps going back and forth like this, it just gets very annoying. Good luck to everyone on whatever vacation you decide.
Old 02-25-2003, 02:19 PM

Actually, I think that I will go last. All the bars on the ship will be deserted so when the time comes for me to get on the lifeboat, I will be ready for anything. Bobby
Old 03-06-2003, 06:21 PM

Now there is a glass half-full statement. I never thought of it but you are absolutely right (of course) someone should shag the wine for the unplanned shore excursion...VBG. (please don't flame me, I am just having fun.)

Tom
Old 03-07-2003, 06:18 AM

What an interesting discussion! Hmmm ... actually here's how I envision what would happen in the event that my dear hubby and myself were involved in some sort of catastrophe at sea ...

The alarms will sound, and Hubby will calculate the logistics involved in trying to actually get to a lifeboat, dismiss the scenario as unfeasible, and then, giving me a quick smooch, he will toss me off the balcony into the sea.

As I immediately begin making rude noise, Hubby will remind me that, after all, i AM an excellent cook and that i should simply think of sharks as "fresh fish."

Then he'll start tossing the contents of our cabin into the water and yelling, "Catch!"

When everything in the room is overboard Hubby himself will jump off the balcony, yelling, "Geronimo" or, if he's had several cups of coffee, "Yippee!"

Then we'll both flail around in the water for a while trying to gather up our soggy belongings while at the same time attempting to dodge the hordes of brimming lifeboats speeding away from the sinking ship.

And Hubby will be chirping excitedly, "Wow! Wait 'til the kids hear about this!"

Old 04-30-2003, 07:43 AM

just had to mention that I read the links you posted on "women and children first" for Carnival..and non of them are an offical Carnival source - they are reviews by passengers and on #12 was a man making a joke with his wife because he was helping her on with her life jacket and couldn't get his on...saying he'd have to go down with the ship.

at least make a valid point if you intend to support your stance.

on the 8+ cruises I've been on I've never heard of this as a practice by any cruise line.
Old 04-30-2003, 04:21 PM
Banned

Who cares if Kim ever cruises. Let her go on the plane to Mexico where the exit rows require strong men to first help everyone else off first in an emergency. In an emergency you must have order. If Kim can't part with her husband for 2 minutes while he helps other people climb in, she can wait with him. If they both panic and push everyone out of the way to get in first they may find themselves causing problems for the rest of us. I think Kim and her husband should stay away from boats. I wouldn't want them on my cruise!
Old 05-04-2003, 01:53 PM

We are not saying that there is one boat for men and one boat for women, all the rest can swim.

There ARE enough boats, and YOU and YOUR beloved husband, you can tell you are newly weds or you would want him to go down , all that happens you and your attractive red/pink life belt get sent to your muster station where you will be helped by crew. The crew will take you to a boat, one with an engine incidentally not rowed by the passengers, and then you have to get onto the lifeboat which will save your life.

In an emergency there will be single people possibly old and even children who are nervous and need to be looked after, there is never going to be a crew member for each passenger so some assistance might be needed that is why the men are asked to delay boarding the craft so the people who might need help, the sea could be rough, get on and the lifeboat can sail away to safety away from the ship in the fastest possible time. Once the women and children have boarded the men will get on and your husband can come and join you, these lifeboats are not small rowing boats you can move around in them.

Mexico right that free and non discrimative regime good luck, ashame you will never get to experince crusing as once you do you will never go back...
Old 05-04-2003, 09:10 PM

Well I heard "women and children first" for the very first time on HAL this year. Personally I find it rather archaic... But women and children were instructed to stand in front in order to board the lifeboats first (if there was an actual emergency). I am not as strictly principled a person as Buena Vista, I suppose, so it did not bother me that much (as has been pointed out above, you'd wind up keeping all of your money under your mattress if you refused to deal with people who don't meet your personal ethical standards), but I was surprised to hear it and frankly I do question the logic. I mean, some of those female tennis players look a heck of a lot bigger than most men I know ...
Old 05-05-2003, 11:46 AM

Hi Kim,
I think letting woman and children go first is just plain old commonsense. In general , woman care for children more frequently than men. It's not discrimination , it's human nature. Most woman are born with the strength to comfort and nurture. Even if we don't like that fact, it's true. I truly believe the average woman could handle a boat full of kids better than the average man. ( my husband would prefer to swim than try to manage a boat full of kids!) I don't believe I'm discriminating, just calling it like it is. It's just a hard cold fact that most men are physically stronger than women. The average man would be able to assist others into a boat, better than the average woman. I'm never put out when a man assists me with a helping hand . It doesn't mean I'm the weaker sex, it just mean I'm physically less strong. As a nurse , I've learned , that sometimes you do what's best for safety, not feelings. I don't think we can begin to fight discrimination, until we begin to appreciate our differences.
PS~ On our last cruise we were all treated like nobility! ( Men, Woman, and Children alike!!!!!!) Toni (Tom's wife)

Closed Thread

Tags
carnival, children, cruise, cruises, disney, first, follow, lifeboat, lifeboats, lines, number, policy, practice, ship, women