Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2006, 01:14 PM

I'd like some input on travel insurance. We definitely want some, but, oh my, the price. We're suffering sticker shock. The lowest quote is $459. This is for airfare and Mediterranean cruise found at http://insuremytrip.com. What has anyone else found?
Old 10-20-2006, 08:22 PM

Bev, insurance costs vary because they're based on your age, length of your vacation, and price you paid for the vacation. If your Med cruise is 10+ days and if you paid a good chunk o' change for it, and if you're a senior, the price is gonna be in the range you described. Travel insurance is like any insurance, in that if you buy it and don't need it, you've paid a lot of money for something you didn't use. If you don't buy it and then cancel your trip because of a medical emergency when you're inside the penalty dates, you stand to lose a lot more money than the price of the insurance. It's a gamble that personally I don't recommend that my clients take, and that personally I don't take, either.

Sandy
Old 10-21-2006, 10:14 PM

Have you tried Travel Guard? I have not either, but someone reccomended them. Make sure to read the fine print for what they are actually insuring you against.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:27 AM

Well, I went to Travel Guard. There is no comparison. They wanted this much per person whereas what we looked at included both of us. AAA's insurance was a little higher with lousy coverage than the one we're probably going to choose. But thanks.
Old 10-23-2006, 01:14 PM

Bev, Travel Guard, like most insurance companies, has different prices for different levels of coverage. For example, their "Cruise, Tour & Travel" insurance is their highest priced insurance because it offers the highest coverage amounts for things like emergency evacuation, medical treatments, etc. There are other types of insurance they sell that are less expensive because they have lower limits of coverage (e.g. $25,000 instead of $50,000 for medical), and are secondary coverage (you have to show that you tried collecting first from Medicare or other insurance you already have) rather than primary coverage, which pays you outright.

My point is that you need to be sure that you are comparing apples with apples when it comes to insurance, and that the coverage you saw with the original company covers the same things in the same amounts as other insurance you look at.

Sandy
Old 10-23-2006, 01:28 PM

Yes, that is exactly what I did. I'm the bookkeeper for our family and buy all insurances, etc.--always comparing. So I did compare apples to apples with this and CSA Travel Protection couldn't be beat and had more protection in many areas, but thanks.
Old 10-23-2006, 04:00 PM

Don't forget to check the pre-existing condition clause.
Old 11-14-2006, 04:59 PM

I believe one of the site administrators, Tom Ogg represents Travel Insured International.(Correct me if I am wrong, Tom) I know that we used them for two of our cruises in the Caribbean and they were very reasonable.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:37 AM

Chef Ken, actually, no I don't. I did some research for an article that I wrote and found Travel Insured to be one of the best companies to look at. They tracked activity from the article for their own interest and to do so had to make me an "agent". It took a few months to reverse the situation, but I am no longer an "agent" for Travel Insured, nor do I represent them in any way. I have no interest in selling anything as an agent, I just like to cruise a lot.

However, I would not hesitate to recommend them or Travel Guard (the other company that came out as a winner in my article)

I hope that explains the situation.

Tom

Closed Thread