Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2005, 02:19 PM

I realize this is personal choice -- but since my cruise experience is very limited (4 days to Mexican Riviera!) I would like some advice from all you experienced cruisers! We booked a 13 day Panama trip next Feb -- and I am not sure whether to reserve a larger table, or one that sits just 6-8. Thanks!
Old 01-09-2005, 02:19 PM

I realize this is personal choice -- but since my cruise experience is very limited (4 days to Mexican Riviera!) I would like some advice from all you experienced cruisers! We booked a 13 day Panama trip next Feb -- and I am not sure whether to reserve a larger table, or one that sits just 6-8. Thanks!
Old 01-09-2005, 03:37 PM
Banned

I don't know if there is a larger table than one for 8. I prefer a table for 2. Look at it this way; if you were to go into a fine restaurant would you want to be seated at a table with other people? When I am dining the only person I want to be with is my wife. I don't need to chat with others. All I want to do is enjoy and cherish the moment with her. If I need to talk to other passengers I can do it at the pool, lounges etc.

As you stated it is a personal choice...
Old 01-09-2005, 04:17 PM

I would LOVE a table for 2! That would definately be my "table of choice". Howvever, my TA said there aren't any -- and asked if I wanted a medium or large table. Is is more comfortable to eat with a larger group (more opportunity to find commenalities), or with a smaller group (easier to talk)?
Old 01-09-2005, 05:12 PM

Janice,
What cruise line and ship will you be sailing? There are some cruise ships that do offer tables for 2, but your TA is correct - many do not. Personally, I prefer a large table (8-10) because it gives me more opportunities to meet people with similar interests. The one table arrangement I would definitely avoid is one for 4. Many cruise lines have tables of 10 and a few even have a limited number for 12.
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 01-09-2005, 05:44 PM

Thanks for the advice. We are booked with Celebrity, on the Galaxy. If you have more info, it is certainly appreciated!
Old 01-10-2005, 04:29 AM

Janice,

I have to agree with Nancy. A table for four can turn into quite a problem if you don't like your dinner companions. I would also prefer either a table for two or a larger table for six or eight.

Raoul Fiebig

Old 01-10-2005, 08:07 AM

I would go for the largest table that you can find and then make sure you meet the Maitre d' on the first day to let him know that your table mates are very important to you. If you get stuck with an unacceptable dining situation, you can then request a move to a more acceptable group of tablemates.

Have a great cruise!

Tom
Old 01-11-2005, 06:23 PM

Janice,
Tablemates can certainly make or break your cruise. More recently you can see the increase in tables for 2. I have not been on Celebrity, but, would definitely visit the Maitre D on the first day & place a request.
Often I travel alone, as I go to visit friends that work on the ship. I have had the priviledge to meet some fabulous friends who I have been seated with. In fact 2 years ago I was placed at a table for 10 on a 14 day cruise. At first I was like, wow, this is too many people! But, we all hit it off so well we have planned a cruise reunion together!
Anyways, good luck & have a wonderful cruise

Link to my webshots:
http://community.webshots.com/user/s...host=community
Old 01-14-2005, 04:30 AM
Banned

The Celebrity Horizon does have tables for two.We like that very much.I wasn't crazy about the ship as a whole, but the dinnig room service and the food quality was one of the best experiences we have had.I wish more ships would offer tables for two. The Century is our favorite ship but no tables for two.Just my two cents worth,no pun intended.
Tom

Closed Thread

Tags
big, cruise, dining, large, medium, reserve, table