Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2007, 11:56 AM

Must be the plan...ours sucks!

RCCL Viking Serenade - May 10, 1992
Old 07-10-2007, 12:08 PM

I received a prescription for transderm scopolamine patches that you put behind the ear and wear 72 hours, then change. My insurance covered the majority of the cost. Have her ask her doctor. Eating green apples while on the ship helps as well.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:52 PM

The patch is simply a trendy thing to do in my opinion. Mike is right, I don't get sea sick but ginger is by far the best as proven and the most natural. Green apples are hard to come by if you really mean "green apples" and not Granny Smith. It's a seasonal thing.

Granny Smith is to apples what "lite" is to beer.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:55 PM

one point for me!

and i wonder how much seasickness is actually psychosomatic...not to say people don't actually get sick, but if you are expecting to be sick, there might be a greater chance that you will be...if thats the case, it doesn't matter if you use pills, bands, patches, or whatever...placebo is placebo

just food for thought
Old 07-10-2007, 03:59 PM

Quote:
and i wonder how much seasickness is actually psychosomatic...not to say people don't actually get sick, but if you are expecting to be sick, there might be a greater chance that you will be...if thats the case, it doesn't matter if you use pills, bands, patches, or whatever...placebo is placebo
i know my wife gets sea sick. I thought it was in her head. I got some small round bandaides and put it on her a couple years ago.... I just recently recovered from my wounds. I will never do that again.

Old 07-10-2007, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MiketheKid:
one point for me!

just food for thought
Ding, ding, ding, ding...Good point, Mike. You are on a roll! Oh-oh, my floor is moving, I'm going to be sick.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:43 PM

Now wait a minute, on the first cruise we took when we had high swells, I could feel it in my head (and I dont mean psychosomatic). I was actually very lightheaded when inside the ship, but once I went out on the deck in the fresh air I was fine. I wasn't drinking alcohol either. Its called vertigo, and it is a true medical condition. This past cruise I wore the patch on the same cruise and when we had the high swells in the Gulf of Alaska, I didnt get lightheaded this time. Im a firm believe the patch works just fine. Some people get vertigo, some don't. Wished I was one that didn't but oh well.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:19 AM

See Lori, it is all in your head!
Old 07-11-2007, 08:29 AM

As a Physician Assistant AND a cruiser, here's my personal and medical opinion.

Bonine (Meclizine) works great except it CAN cause drowsiness. The patch works fine as a LAST resort, but remember that once you have it on, the medicine is in you and you can't get it out!

And a final personal note. I think you feel more motion in your car than you ever do on a ship! The movement is minimal and mostly psychological.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:41 AM

another point haha!

and, again, im sure there are plenty of people who honestly get seasick...ive been sea sick once or twice while fishing on a very small boat, and it is HORRIBLE, so i dont mean to say that everyone is making it up

i guess the overall message here is that these ships are HUGE and that motion sickness is not usually a major concern...knowing that, don't think about it or expect it to happen, and it most likely won't bother you...but, just in case, keep your favorite remedy (ginger pills!) in your bag...

Closed Thread

Tags
bands, caribbean, cost, cruise, motion, mythbusters, patch, patches, placebo, prescription, royal, sea, seasick, seasickness, sick, sickness, work