Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2007, 09:31 AM

Quote:
As a Physician Assistant AND a cruiser, here's my personal and medical opinion.

Bonine (Meclizine) works great except it CAN cause drowsiness. The patch works fine as a LAST resort, but remember that once you have it on, the medicine is in you and you can't get it out!

And a final personal note. I think you feel more motion in your car than you ever do on a ship! The movement is minimal and mostly psychological.
As stated earlier people do get sea sick, to some it may be it their heads but others get sea sick.

What do you means once the patch is on the medicine is in you? Once you take Meclizine it is in you. The patch just gives you multidoses over a longer period. You do not need to retake them. If you do not like the effect or want to quit...remove the patch!

Old 07-11-2007, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Greyson:
Now wait a minute, on the first cruise we took when we had high swells, I could feel it in my head (and I dont mean psychosomatic). I was actually very lightheaded when inside the ship, but once I went out on the deck in the fresh air I was fine. I wasn't drinking alcohol either. Its called vertigo, and it is a true medical condition. This past cruise I wore the patch on the same cruise and when we had the high swells in the Gulf of Alaska, I didnt get lightheaded this time. Im a firm believe the patch works just fine. Some people get vertigo, some don't. Wished I was one that didn't but oh well.
Lori, you know I'm just joking with you, right? I know that whatever the reason, it is pretty bothersome. I do feel that people talk themselves into it but still the affects are very real.

I like the predictability of the motion compared to the jerky movements of riding in vehicles. It is kind of like that bs about the wine on ships being stirred too much for the motion of the ship. I guarantee, the wine suffered much more action on the way to the ship then it ever does while at sea.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:48 PM

I was told prior to my first cruise to take the first pill (dramamine) 30 minutes before the ship sails and go to the highest point on the ship as the ship guns its engines and pulls out. I did this and was fine. Also, avoid alcohol before the ship sails.

What I find is that first time cruisers are bothered by the slight movement the ship makes while out to sea. For most experienced cruisers, it is hardly noticable but for someone new to it, the slight rocking can be disturbing and trigger a bit of motion sickness.

I take dramimine with me on every cruise. Take 1 pill 30 minutes before the ship sails and I am good to go for the rest of the cruise.

If the motion sickness gets bad, she can always go down to the infirmary. The draminine is free or the doctor can give her something a bit stronger to help her out (at a cost of course).

Happy cruzin'

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Victory, CCL Imagination, CCL Victory

Past Cruzes: RCCL Navigator, RCCL Majesty, CCL Destiny,
Glory (2007),Liberty (2007), Fantasy (2007), Destiny (2006), PofAm (2005), Inspiration (2005), Fascination (2004), Victory (2004), Fascination (2004), RCCL VOS(2003), Fantasy (1999)
Old 07-11-2007, 08:24 PM

I know you were joking. Dont worry, I can take it.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:21 PM

It is real for some folks. And one of the worst sickness feelings. Not to mention is one's vacation. The larger ships don't bother me at all in normal sea conditions. I like the movement. But get yourself in some swells on a smaller ship and is not a good situation. I honestly could not stand up in the shower once on CCL Celebration with a forward cabin. And no I had not had anything to drink

Was getting that feeling, so went up to Lido and was some better, except for seeing the front of the ship take those dives. Went down to Info and they gave me a (Mec). Took half of it with a beer and all was better.

Or maybe it just got calmer? All I know is it helped. I am going try the Ginger that was suggested next time as a precaution.

Closed Thread

Tags
bands, caribbean, cost, cruise, motion, mythbusters, patch, patches, placebo, prescription, royal, sea, seasick, seasickness, sick, sickness, work