Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2007, 03:30 PM

My mother in law tends to get motion sickness. This is her first cruise, she is a little worried about getting sea sick and is thinking about asking the doctor for a prescription for the patches. She heard they cost about $70, is that right? Are there any over the counter patches available?

She doesn't want to spend a fortune in case it's not needed.

Old 07-08-2007, 04:42 PM

I work in a pediatric office and this question comes up quite a bit. What I have been told by the doctors is the patch isn't the first thing that they recommend. They can only be worn for a short period of time and tend to make you drowsy anyway. What they suggest is a Sea-Band. It is a bracelet worn on the wrist that helps with motion sickness. I know these are cheap and sold almost anywhere including AAA offices. They also tell patients OTC Dramamine can be taken along as a back-up. Good Luck! I would ask her doc as well.

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 07-08-2007, 06:52 PM

I have a problem with motion sickness also. I took Bonine in the morning and felt fine all day. Never had a problem during are entire trip.

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 07-08-2007, 07:00 PM
Unless there are some rough seas, you shouldn't feel much motion.....but...the wrist bands and very cheap (a couple of bucks at any drug store). We've never had motion sickness on our 18 cruises....I've also heard good things about Bonine which is available at drug stores also...
Have a wonderful cruise...

Bob E
Old 07-08-2007, 07:09 PM

I recommend that your mother-in-law takes a sea sickness pill (Sea Quell or Bonine) on the first day as soon as you set sail. We had 3 at our dining table the first night leave to go to the bathroom to empty their stomachs. As you move from the calm harbour into the open sea and then have supper it can get upsetting.
I only feel ill in rough seas and Bonine works wonders for me.
On HAL they hand out Sea Quell tablets for free. If you are in your cabin sick you are not spending money.

Navigator of the Seas 2010
Serenade of the Seas 2009, 2011
Eurodam 2008
Maasdam 2007
Amsterdam 2006
Zuiderdam 2004
Old 07-08-2007, 08:24 PM

Look for the ingrediant Meclizine. It is cheap and OTC in most of the products. To avoid drowsiness half the pill, and take before sailing. It is only in ruff seas that I ever feel anything as well.

As Bob said about the bands, my sis used them and never had any problems. But then again it was never too bouncy.

Slightly off topic, Footprints I love your name. It is one of my favorite stories.

Best regards,
IslandCruz
Old 07-09-2007, 11:58 AM

Another option: Ginger pills. All natural, and are supposed to work very well - BUT since I don't usually get sea sick, I've never tried it myself. I'm pretty sure you can get them at most drug stores and natural stores. The Mythbusters (by far the most reliable source of information today haha) did an episode on motion sickness pills and bands. The ginger pills beat out everything else, and didnt cause drowsiness.
My personal gripe with Bonine (which I have tried) is that the pills are made in such a way that as soon as they touch your wet mouth, they absorb the moisture and sort of stick to your throat or the roof of your mouth. Thats not such a bad thing, but they taste terrible and you don't want them in your mouth any longer than needed. Any one else ever notice that, or am I just insane?

Don't answer that.....
Old 07-09-2007, 02:49 PM

My wife uses the patch. She has no side effects, she does have side effects with OTC. We only pay a copay of $5.00 for 6 patches, however the invoice says they would cost $10.00 a peice if we paid for them. You need on every 3 days.

Old 07-10-2007, 09:32 AM

We belong to Kaiser here in California and I just went last week to fill the prescription for the patches. For six of them it was $50. For the Sea Band wrist thingys it was approx. $8 a piece (you would need to wear on both wrists). I was suprised at the price for the patches so I decided to wait and do some more research. Basically it's different strokes for different folks! You just have to try things out and see what works best for you. Someone said to start before you leave though...better to see how it is going to affect you before you get on the ship.

RCCL Viking Serenade - May 10, 1992
Old 07-10-2007, 10:19 AM

Quote:
We belong to Kaiser here in California and I just went last week to fill the prescription for the patches. For six of them it was $50.
It might depend on your plan but we have Kaiser also (Northern Ca), we only pay a $5.00 copay.

Closed Thread

Tags
bands, caribbean, cost, cruise, motion, mythbusters, patch, patches, placebo, prescription, royal, sea, seasick, seasickness, sick, sickness, work