Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2007, 09:12 PM

I'm wondering if the Baltic Sea is normally calm or not? I'm prone to getting seasick and want to find a cruise on calm waters!
Old 01-06-2007, 09:31 PM
I would love to hear some comments on this also. I'm not at all prone to motion sickness, but I'm going to the Baltic for the first time this June and would like to know what to expect.
I know any body of water can become rough under certain conditions, but what is normal for the Baltic?
Old 01-07-2007, 05:10 AM

Hello folks,

the Baltic doesn't have a huge swell and is usually fairly calm. However, I've also been on a Baltic cruise during a storm, and depending on the physical parameters of a ship, the Baltic can be not a nice place in a situation like that. Generally, ships that are fairly long for their width tend to take the Baltic swell better than "stubby" ones. The overall size of the ship isn't that important in contrast to that.

I'm moving this thread to the General Cruise Chat forum.

Raoul Fiebig

Old 01-07-2007, 10:46 AM

I have been to the Baltic twice. Once at the end of May and the other at the beginning of August. Neither time did I experience what could be called really rough seas.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:34 PM

We have been on the Jewel to the Scandinavian Capitals, St. Petersburg,Russia and Tallin, Estonia and we had rough sea at several days in may 2004. The passage between Norway and Denmark could be quite rough and even the more protected area between Sweden and Denmark was rough, so the Captain changed the course a little bit. We were not allowed to go outside, the deckchairs were flying around and the specialty buffet outside was cancelled. No I know, that I have to take the pills, you get a the front desk, as early as possible to avoid seasickness.

But the seas around this areas could also be very calm and enjoyable.

And, we loved the cruise and the ports of call, and we loved the Jewel ots.

Best regards
Marita

Closed Thread

Tags
avoid, baltic, calm, conditions, conditons, cruise, cruising, crusing, reviews, rough, ruise, sea, seasick, sickness, water