Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2007, 12:16 AM
I was watching an episode of 20/20 on TV a couple of weeks back. They were talking about a rare disorder which affected some people who came back from a cruise. It was called "Disembarkation Syndrom". There was this one young lady, who after returning from a cruise, felt the dizzy sensations one can sometimes feel after a cruise. The sensations as if you were still on the cruise ship when it was in motion out at sea. Eventually that sensation would go away, except in her case. That dizzy sensation never went away and has remained with her for more than a year after the cruise. Therefore she was diagnosed with "Disembarkation Syndrom".

In my case, I felt those same dizzy sensations. To me it felt like the up and down pitching of the ship. Or, when you are standing in waist deep water at the beach being knocked around by the waves. I expierienced those dizzy sensations for about a week and a half on my first cruise, and for a few days after my third cruise. It was annoying. I had to sit down while changing my clothes, or else I would loose my balance. At work, I was constantly bumping my co-workers in the narrow halways. While driving, it felt as if the car was constantly lunging forward which caused me to use the brake unecessarely a few times. I did not feel those dizzy sensations at all after my second cruise.

The reason I feel, was that on my first and third cruise, my cabins were completely forward, close to the bow of the ship. On my second cruise, my cabin was almost perfectly mid-ship.

Fortunately for me, those dizzy sensations went away with time. For that young lady on TV, she was not so lucky.

So, I was wondering if anyone here has ever heard of "Disembarkation Syndrom"? Has anyone hear ever expierience those dizzy sensations and were troubled by them for a significant time after the cruise?
Old 02-21-2007, 12:31 AM
Correction:

Quote:
Has anyone hear ever expierience those dizzy sensations
Has anyone HERE ever expierience those dizzy sensations
Old 02-21-2007, 04:43 AM

A couple of my kids & I felt that for about a day or so after we got back earlier this month. I've always had that feeling after a cruise, where your equilibrium is off & you have to take a step or two to compensate. My stateroom has been in several different areas of the ship so I don't think it had anything to do with our location for us.

What about that poor teenager with the hiccups for about a month now?!? Poor kid!
Elation, CCL 9-24-06
Carnival Victory, CCL 1-28-07
Sovereign of the Seas, Royal Caribbean, 9-24-07
Old 02-21-2007, 04:48 AM

In January my wife had it for a week. It was our fith cruise.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:16 AM
Banned

I get disembarkation syndrome also.....in my case, I just get sad because the cruise is over Best thing for me though is to get back at it and book that next cruise!
Old 02-21-2007, 05:54 AM

I'm with carlg, I'm usually crying when I'm leaving the ship. Once in a while, I'll get the dizziness stuff, but it just makes me want to be back on board that much more. I usually feel it the most in the shower, don't know why, but that's where I notice it the most. I'm sooooo ready to go again!!
Old 02-21-2007, 04:03 PM

I've experienced that feeling both after a cruise and after a long flight (13 hours to Australia). In both cases, it went away after no more than a week. Never heard it given a name before.

Personally, I found it rather amusing.

Closed Thread

Tags
back, cruise, cruises, disembarkation, disemnarkation, disorder, dizziness, dizzy, equilibrium, feeling, im, post, sensation, ship, ships, syndrome