Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2005, 09:01 PM

I have a feeling this has been asked before, so please feel free to refer me to the appropriat discussion. I notice the cruise lines have direct numbers you can order cruises through, but if I do it online through a place like cruise.com, can I get the same guarantees and treatment (like transportation to the ship from the airport) like I could through the cruisline? I know several of you have suggested using a travel agent, would we get about the same rates through a travel agent? I guess I'm afraid that a travel agent won't necessarily know EVERYTHING about cruising. And I am getting an awful lot of questions answered here....
Old 06-02-2005, 07:48 PM

Buying a cruise directly from the cruise line actually does not offer you much better treatment or support than any online booking company. The people who staff the booking departments for cruise lines are just order takers and many may never have set foot on a ship, nor have anything more than a basic knowledge of the product. Your best bet is still to find a travel agent that specializes in cruising.

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 06-02-2005, 08:23 PM

The last cruise I booked was directly through the cruise line. I had no problem with that portion of it.

We needed transportation from the airport to the ship and got that from the cruise line as well for $90.00 for my wife and me. The cruise was great. The transportation was the worst part of the cruise. We waited at the airport for the bus for almost 2 hours. After disembarkation, there was no rep or bus when we got off the boat. We ended up taking a taxi back to the airport for $40.00.

This won't stop me from cruising with this cruise line again or even booking directly with them again... it's just I was a little disappointed because I thought I was getting that "extra service" by arranging transportation thru them.

TimT
Old 06-03-2005, 09:58 PM

Did you get the impression from other cruisers on that line that others actually did have their transportation taken care of? Many of the brochures talk about having a representative or someone there at the airport to meet you. I like that idea a lot, because that's just one thing less I have to concern myself with....because as you've all probably figured out I'm one of those people who feels she just has to know everything about everything
Old 06-05-2005, 02:50 PM

Most cruise lines now have a representative greeter at the airport. You will find them all lined up near the luggage area. They assist with general info & of course directing you for the transfers.
Old 06-05-2005, 06:23 PM

OK, now this motivates me to write an article on how to get the best deal on cruises. I am going to start on it right after I finish my Century review. I will post here when it is published.

Closed Thread