Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2005, 10:00 PM
I am sure everyone has heard the highly publicized and sensationalized news story last week. In case you didn't, here it is: The Seabourne Spirit was attacked by would-be pirates off the coast of Ghana, Africa. They were wheelding RPGs (Rocket Propelled Grenades: a.k.a. Bazookas)and Kolashnikov (AK-47) rifles. The pirates may have fired their rifles and some launched their RPGs at the Spirit. One of the RPGs landed on-deck onboard the Spirit unexploded. At least one passenger or crew member on-board snapped a photo of the pirates in their tiny Trout-fishing-boat, as well as one photo of the unexploded RPG shell onboard. However, the piracy attempt was foiled when the Spirit went to full throttle ahead and ended-up out running the pirates.

So, I was wondering what everyone thought of that story? Is piracy something new for cruise ship passengers to worry about? Now that the whole world has heard the news, has it given bad guys in any costal country, some new ideas or inspiration?

Although, I guess cruising never was completely safe. Does everyone remember a passenger named Leon Klinghopper? He was aboard the cruiseship Achilli Lauro. This was going back about 20 years ago, if I'm correct.

So, anyway, I would like to hear from everyone about this. Was that incident last week just an isolated incedent, or is it the sign of a growing trend? Should people take it into consideration next time they book a cruise? Or what?
Old 11-09-2005, 11:02 PM
I should have read all the messages. I would have then discoverd that Carlalena1 already posted a message on this subject titled: AVAST! Sorry Carlalena1.

But it would be interesting to get everyones thoughts on this subject.
Old 11-10-2005, 06:45 AM

Personally, I'm not concerned about if for our Caribbean cruise (although my husband is....he thinks we're jinxed due to Katrina causing us to have to reschedule our cruise, Wilma changing us to Costa Maya from Cozumel, and now pirates!!!).

Don't think we'll be taking any cruises off the coast of Somalia in the near future.

Adrienne
Old 11-10-2005, 06:10 PM

It is an amazing turn of events when youthink of a few guys in small boats trying to take down a cruise ship.I wonder what they were thinking?

Tom
Old 11-10-2005, 06:39 PM

Tom: it is totally possible. I asked a friend who is a merchant seaman about it once (he was a master of a container ship in the past). I asked him how it is possible for the Coast Guard, or the equivalent in other countries, to board a ship. He said that when they pull alongside, guns drawn, you obey. Doesn't seem possible but I guess it is true!
Old 11-10-2005, 07:18 PM

I would have to give the Captain of the Seabourn Spirit high marks for not following protocol then. I wonder if this incident changed the way ships may react to such situations?

Tom
Old 11-11-2005, 06:33 AM

Well, I'm sure he knew they were pirates and not legitimate authorities. I read somewhere that there are over 200 acts of piracy a year...
Old 11-11-2005, 09:51 AM

hey everyone- check this out: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/4428808.stm
Old 11-11-2005, 03:41 PM

Great link. Thanks for the article. Did you notice that there was 61 ships attacked between Indonesia and Australia.....how frightening!
Old 11-14-2005, 05:51 AM

Here's another one- far better:

http://abcnews.go.com/International/...C-RSSFeeds0312

Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, pirates, ship, worry