Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2005, 04:59 PM

OK, ever since Carla asked why we didn't post links to the new cruise reviews as they were published, I have been on a quest to come up with a good way to do it.

I started posting them to their respective cruise forums, but it just trashed up the conversations....ditto for the cruise line's press releases and such. Cruise-Chat.com seems to be doing pretty well just as a discussion community. I spoke to a ton of Internet gurus who all had great solutions, but they also cost a ton of money and the last thing I want to do is trash CruiseReviews.com with a bunch of advertising in order to pay for it. Google AdSense is enough.

So with the help of Nancy Norris, we have developed something so cool it is almost unbelievable. We can deliver links to new cruise reviews, cruise news and information, links to key conversations in Cruise-Chat.com and much, much more. It is in an easy to read format and is absolutely non-invasive in any way. It is really, really cool!

The catch is, that it is an emerging technology that some Cruise-Chat.com readers may already use, but it might be new for many of you. I guarantee you that if you try it, you will love it.

We have established a Cruise News Blog that is located at:

http://cruisereviews.typepad.com

You can check it out now as it is live and Nancy and I are still playing around with it.

But there is more! There is a news feed from the blog that you can access that is really cool. So here is what to do. visit the blog and then click on the "Subscribe to Cruise News Blog RSS Feed". Then follow the instructions that you find there to subscribe. It only takes a couple of minutes and it does not cost a cent to subscribe or maintain access to the feed.

I would love feeback on the subscription process, blog format and content and RSS feed. We are still finalizing this effort and any/all ideas will halp us make it more effective for future subscribers.

BTW, once you get involved with RSS, you won't believe how you ever lived without it.

Thanks in advance.

Tom
Old 10-27-2005, 05:36 PM

Tom,

what a great new feature. Many thanks to you and Nancy for introducing it!

By the way, for those members using the Mozilla Firefox web browser subscribing to the RSS feed is a matter of two mouse clicks only, thanks to the browser's Live Bookmarks feature. No additional subscription will be necessary for Firefox users.

Raoul Fiebig

Old 10-27-2005, 07:26 PM

WOW

Thanks so very much for this awesome addition.
Tom your directions were excellent. I had no problem. Did print them out & just read/followed.

Happy Cruising

Cathy

Link to my webshots:
http://community.webshots.com/user/s...host=community
Old 10-27-2005, 08:47 PM

Raoul, Firefox is the best! I chose the path of least resistance to get folks involved with RSS, hence http://www.Bloglines.com. There are so many options it makes my head spin.

I can't tell you how much your support of this effort means to me personally.

SunPrincess, thanks for your support!

Tom
Old 10-28-2005, 11:00 AM

VERY kewel! Raoul, thanks for the hint about Firefox. That's the browser I use and it was as easy as you described. It's my first RSS feed but I think I may be creating a monster here!

Sandy
Old 10-28-2005, 02:19 PM

Sandy,

I'm glad it works for you. I'm also kind of new to this, but it's a very cool feature, indeed.

By the way, if you also use Mozilla Thunderbird as your e-mail client you can also subscribe to the feed there and will receive all updates by e-mail.

Raoul Fiebig

Old 10-28-2005, 02:59 PM

Sandy, I woke up in the middle of the night last night and searched for feeds for about an hour.....I thought that I had better get a life. RSS is addicting!

Tom
Old 10-28-2005, 04:35 PM

WHOA! Am I famous now, Tom?
Old 10-28-2005, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Carlalena1:
WHOA! Am I famous now, Tom?
Well, Carla,

if people get totally addicted to RSS feeds now and ask who is to blame, we will make sure to let them know about you!

Raoul Fiebig

Old 10-28-2005, 07:24 PM

Carla, no, actually you deserve the fame and were probably famous long before you found us, VBG.

Tom

Closed Thread