Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2005, 08:50 PM

I have been thinking about the advisability of cruising during hurricane season next year for obvious reasons. I also want to sail out of a port closer to me. I REALLY want to sail out of NYC because I think it would be awesome to see from the ship. BUT... I don't really want to go to the Maritime Provinces. Does anyone know if it is worth it? I think when one of the shore excursions is "Lobster Museum" it is a bad sign... I have been to PEI but not via cruise ship. Do you think there would be kids on that kind of cruise?

Thanks.
Old 09-14-2005, 05:46 AM

Carla, What are the specific ports on the itin and when and with what cruise line are planning to sail? All those factor in to the number of other kids on the cruise. Many people choose to take these cruises in the fall to see the fall foliage, but since we see this in our own backyards on a yearly basis - not too exciting.
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 09-15-2005, 07:35 AM

How about if you're going to sail out of NY, which I agree would be awesome, then why not keep on going and come over and see us!!
6 days to southampton or you could have a couple more days and see the Med!!
I may try the same in reverse and sail into NY before too long.
Also, I know the Atlantic can be 'turbulant' but we have fantastic weather over here in the summer.

Best of luck in your quest,

Rosey x

Old 09-15-2005, 11:51 AM

Carlalena1-

I just finished my first cruise ever in August - so take my suggestions with a grain of salt. We cruised to New England and Canada and had a great time. I guess your own level of enjoyment depends on what you want to see and experience. We were on RC (Enchantment) and found many of the excursions to be interesting - but only took one because we had two young children with us - so we ended up doing are own think in a couple of ports to keep them involved.

You kind of mock the "Lobster Museum" but I have to tell you, that was the one organized excursion we took - in Bar Harbor - and we really enjoyed it. It is an Oceanarium - which sounds more impressive than it is. It is really a couple of small shack-like buildings - but they do a great job of explaining the lobster fishing trade - but more interesting than that, you actually get to see a lobster hatchery and see baby lobsters when they are about 1 week old.

I realize this is not for everyone - but we were totally fascinated by it.

The only stop our itinery made in Canada was Halifax, Nova Scotia. We did a couple of muesums and a brewery tour and had a great time. We really wish we had more time there. If I cruise that direction again, I would love to visit more ports in Canada.

Again, I think it depends on what you are looking for. We selected this cruise for one of the reasons you stated. The ship left out of Philadelphia - 1 hour from my house. Since I am not a fan of flying, this was a very important option for me. It really didn't matter what direction we were going in.

Enchantment - August 2005
Old 09-15-2005, 01:58 PM

Carlalena,

we have done the Indian Summer cruise in october 2001. It should start in N.Y., but everybody knows, why it could not start there.
We had a wonderful bustour from N.Y. to Boston and our first impressions from the Indian Summer.
We liked Bar Harbour and Halifax (tour to Peggys Cove) and we loved Quebec and the Saguenay River.
But it was a little bit too late for the Fall foliage. We want to do it again, but then begin october and with more days in N.Y.

Best regards, Marita

Closed Thread

Tags
canada