Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2004, 09:52 PM

celebrity site says informal is slacks, tie, and jacket while formal is tux or suit...can't i just wear slacks, tie, and nice shirt on informal nites??..usually dress code is not as high as they say
Old 03-03-2004, 09:52 PM

celebrity site says informal is slacks, tie, and jacket while formal is tux or suit...can't i just wear slacks, tie, and nice shirt on informal nites??..usually dress code is not as high as they say
Old 03-04-2004, 07:40 AM

Most men will wear either a suit or sport coat to dinner in the main restaurant. I suspect that one might feel under dressed without a coat on informal night. If one doesn't want to wear a coat and tie on the informal evening then the buffet or room service might be a good alternative. However, I am not sure that one would be turned away from the main dining room if they did not have a coat on, so it then becomes an issue of how one would feel in that situation.

Tom
Old 03-04-2004, 08:13 AM

MY BOYFRIEND AND I WENT ON THE CONQUEST LAST YEAR AND HE JUST WORE DRESS PANTS AND A NICE SHIRT...NO TIE....WE WERE NEVER TURNED AWAY OR EVEN LOOKED OUT FUNNY...I THINK IT IS MORE FOR THE PEOPLE THAT JUST LIKE TO DRESS FOR DINNER...JUST HAVE A GREAT TIME...
SHARON
Old 03-05-2004, 06:19 AM

I'm taking my first cruise myself on celebrity century on the 13th, and was wondering about the dress code also. I have a dark suit and a sport coat so I'll be fine. but how casual is the casual dining. could we wear shorts or jeans? and the lounges and bars after dinner...are they casual?
Old 03-05-2004, 08:49 AM

Each cruise line seems to fit into a demographic market that it serves and the further up the scale that you go, the more formal they tend to be. As an example, on the QE2 you are not allowed into the dining room on formal nights without a coat and tie.

Generally, premium and luxury lines are more formal than mass market lines. On Carnival, as an example, I have seen guys in jeans and a tee shirt on formal nights and no one cares.

Celebrity is considered a premium line and as such is a tad more formal. They define their dress code as follows.

Formal: Tux or dark suit for men

Informal; Sport Coat

Casual: Slacks and a shirt (or the theme dress for the evening)

Most cruise lines request that shorts not be worn after 5 pm, but again some are more lax than others.

NCL's Freestyle cruising has taken advantage of the fact many men do not want to dress and even on the most formal night doesn't require men to dress. They usually have one or two restaurants reserved for those that want to wear a tux or dark suit.

You will have fun no matter what, but if you are concerned about the appropriate dress on the ship then, follow the guide lines set up by the cruise line.

To
Old 03-30-2004, 08:13 AM

I just returned from my first cruise on Celebrity's Century and thought I'd comment on the dress code, as I was concerned about this aspect of cruising. I'm not a dress up kind of guy; so you know where I'm coming from. The dress code was not as formal as I thought it would be. The basic rule is no jeans or shorts in the dining room at any time. This is really the only absolute rule regarding dress. I wore the same dark suit on both formal nights with a different shirt and it was fine. I saw many men wearing sport coats and slacks on formal night as well. I did however notice, that the closer you got to the captain's table the more dressed people were. I'm thinking perhaps these people are vip types and passenger's with the more expensive rooms who get seated closer to the cabin's table. Just guessing. maybe not. Women appear to have more options. Some women appeared to wear a casual dress every night. I think as long as your dress "neat" you'll be fine.

Anyway, I'm here to say to you first timers, don't worry about dress code. It will be the least of your concerns on the cruise. We had a wonderful time and expect to cruise again in the future.
Old 03-30-2004, 12:31 PM

How did you like the Century? How was the service?Was the food of good quality? Was the entertainment good? Please share some info as we are going on the Century in a couple weeks. It is our 1st time on the Century. Thanks Tom
Old 03-31-2004, 08:53 AM

I really liked the Century. Of course this was our first cruise and have nothing to compare it to, but I felt it was great. The service and food were outstanding. I felt spoiled. Every night was like eating in a four star restaurant. The ship was kept immaculate at all times. My only compliant would be that the bar waiter (they call him a somalier or something like that) kind of ignored our table as I was the only one who would have a drink at dinner. but he got better as the week went on.

We didn't see any of the shows so I can't comment on the entertainment. We were always unwinding from our day on shore or from the big dinner we just ate when the shows were scheduled. Our table mates though did comment that the shows were good.

Our stateroom attendant Vincent did a good job and was very friendly.

If you're looking for a nice quiet area on the ship, I recommend the promenade area (deck 6 i think). It was a shaded area that hardly anybody ever used and always had a nice breeze blowing. We would walk around this area after dinner and in the early morning. A nice break from the busy pool area. Also the back deck behind islands cafe is very nice. good sunsets from back there. i got a couple good pictures there.

If you want a lounge chair by the pool you need to get there early. Personally, I recommend going up to the second deck. always plenty of chairs available and you don't have be out too early.

Next time, I'll handle my own transfers to and from the airport via taxi. Going to the port wasn't too bad via Celebrity's shuttle, although we had a long walk to the bus from the baggage area. Leaving the port to go back to the airport was a mess. People yelling at you to keep moving, "don't stop!!", and there was much confusion over which bus went to what terminal, and which bus was full and which wasn't. Big headache!

Overall, I loved the Century and would return.
Old 03-31-2004, 12:29 PM

Sno
Thanks for your input, you have been very helpful, I am looking forward to the trip.Thank again for your help!
Tom

Closed Thread

Tags
casual, celebrity, century, coat, code, cruise, dining, dress, formal, informal, informals, shirt, sports