Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   General Cruise Chat (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/general-cruise-chat/)
-   -   BE SURE TO ARRIVE A DAY AHEAD OF YOUR CRUISE - a new horror story (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/general-cruise-chat/32118-sure-arrive-day-ahead-your-cruise-new-horror-story.html)

SD Cruiser 01-14-2008 08:57 AM

A huge group of people COMPLETELY MISSED their Star Princess SA Antarctic cruise that departed Jan. 10 because their AA flight from Miami to Buenos Aires had mechanical problems and left 8 or 9 hours late. On this particular itinerary, there was no way to catch them up, as the only port after departure, and before Antarctic cruising, was Port Stanley. I know this because I am booked on the identical Feb. sailing of the Star and followed their roll call thread on another site, as well as my own, and one of the cruisers who missed the cruise posted the information.

In this day of terrible airline travel, it is a foolish economy of money and vacation days to plan to arrive the day of the cruise, however early.
Ellie

TrvlPro 01-14-2008 10:07 AM

Thanks for the post. It's unfortunate to hear such accounts but I hear them on a smaller scale all too often. The air traffic system and weather is the usual cause. If people knew how old and out of date the air traffic control system is in the US and how many flight delays and other issues happen on a regular basis they wouldn't schedule flights with such little room for error. This post may be viewed as the exception by some but those who do not heed the advice are running a greater risk than they're aware. Also a very good post for those who say travel insurance is not for them. Any of these passengers without insurance not only lost their vacation but a major chunk of money!

Cheers, Neil

Dave 01-14-2008 10:09 AM

Ellie,

Thanks for the info. While it is always a good idea to arrive a day early - even if it is just a quick flight from Atlanta to Miami - it is astounding to read of somebody flying from one continent to another on the same day the cruise departs and thinking it is a good idea.

And so they miss out on perhaps a once-in-a-lifetime journey and although the airline hosed them, in the end they can chalk it up to their own lack of forethought.

Svein 01-14-2008 11:46 AM

I remember from my days with NCL - all those guests who was arriving by plane the same afternoon as the cruise. As the time was closing up on departure there was always a few guests that couldn't make it. I remember thinking the exact same thing as Dave: -How in earth can they take the cance on missing the ship. It must be a nerwrecking way to start your vacation?

susanmaz 01-14-2008 12:21 PM

True story - our very first cruise... we're flying from Tucson to Los Angeles. It's a 1 hour flight. We are at the airport at 6:00 in the morning for an 8:00 flight. Due to various mixups and a plane that won't fly, we don't get to LA until 3:30, and board the ship at 4:30pm... Lesson learned...

Jim C. 01-14-2008 01:00 PM

Heck Susan, you could have driven it in that time, couldn't you?

SD Cruiser 01-14-2008 02:04 PM

Just to clarify, the international flight from Miami to Buenos Aires was to leave late evening on the 9th and arrive mid morning on the 10th. And of course, the cruise departed very late afternoon on the 10th; still much to close to allow a margin for error.

Dave 01-14-2008 02:32 PM

Thanks for the clarification. Still, anyone who didn't plan on being in a hotel room in Buenos Aires by late afternoon on the 9th was being foolish. They could have been figuring out where to have a great steak dinner in Buenos Aires instead of sitting in MIA in various stages of outrage.

susanmaz 01-14-2008 03:39 PM

Yeah - we could have driven in the time it actually took us to get there. But the main lesson learned was to never fly America West again.... When the 3rd plane we were shuttled to wouldn't fly, they had to bring a plane down from Denver to replace it.... they didn't have anything in Phoenix ! ! And, when we finally did choose America West to fly again - 10 years later, due only to expediency, we were waiting for our plane to show up at the gate; noticed a plane pull up to the next gate, watched the flight crew board, and when we still didn't have a plane at our gate 20 minutes after departure time, we checked with the gate staff who said - OH - you folks must be boarding the plane that's waiting.. One wonders that the flight crew didn't question why they had no passengers?

Dave 01-14-2008 05:10 PM

I was curious and looked up the flight info. How dumb can people be? The flight from Miami to Buenos Aires is 4405 miles, takes 8.5 hours (if everything goes okay), and is so long that even the cheap seats get two meals served.