Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2008, 10:25 PM

If the wind is blowing 20 MPH or less, does that make it a rocky day aboard a ship? I see our winds are predicted to be between 15 and 20 MPH and I am worried about my daughter with motion sickness. She really gets ill but she wants to try a quick trip to Bahamas?

Aruba Reviews
Old 03-22-2008, 05:51 AM
Administrator

It depends upon which direction the wind is coming from relative to the position of the ship. In other words, if you're heading into the wind, it's not so bad. If it's coming from the side, pax might feel it.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. But, if your daughter becomes sensitive to the motion, I suggest a simple remedy -- apples. They're free, readily available, and have no side effects. They've worked well for me when sailing off the New England coast, where I live. This idea was given to me by a crew member years ago when I was on a particularly rocky cruise and couldn't medicate as I was pregnant.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:35 AM

No matter when I sail it seems that there's always a strong head wind & it doesn't really equate to how rocky the ride is. Unless she's super sensitive to being seasick I wouldn't worry to much about it. The Caribbean is usually calm this time of year & not many people get seasick. IN all our years of cruising the Caribbean I can't remember the last time we had a rough ride. The north Atlantic form NY to Bermuda is a different story. I hear lots of stories about how bad the trips were (mine included).
Old 03-23-2008, 12:18 AM

Sometimes it can be windy on the open decks and still not have much ship movement at all. To me it seems to have more to do with the ocean conditions. Say if a recent storm passed through and stirred up the wave heights.

Dwayne
Old 03-25-2008, 10:10 AM
Most of the ships are big enough and have stabilizers so that you hardly notice any motion. It also depends on where you are located on the ship - midship and lower deck seem to feel the motion less.
It is funny, but I have sailed into and/or out of Florida five times and that first/last day at sea has always been the roughest one of the trip.

Need some cruise help?

Closed Thread

Tags
20, 20mph, cruise, day, days, motion, mph, ocean, portwindy, rocky, ships, sickness, wind, winds, windy