Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   General Cruise Chat (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/general-cruise-chat/)
-   -   has anyone been on a cruise during a hurricane (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/general-cruise-chat/32262-has-anyone-been-cruise-during-hurricane.html)

macmom111 08-29-2008 04:37 AM

I was just wondering what peoples experiences were if they were cruising during a hurricane that was in the area.

Casanova frankenstein 08-29-2008 04:49 AM

usually they don't let cruises to go out to sea during Huricanes if they are near the embarking port they just cancel the cruise.
Just on some cases, they let you go out if your cruise start before the hurricane arrives to port,
they just change the ports of call and go arround them so mostly, for all I know about hurricanes, they just get rain.

Dwayne 08-29-2008 05:35 AM

Yes, they re-routed us from Western to Eastern on the Carnival Glory for Wilma. It worked out great, other than the mid-cruise immigration process. They are pretty good at this. With two going at once, this must be a headache for them.

Dwayne

LisaP 08-29-2008 03:55 PM

We've had a couple of re-routings through the years. One was on a 4-night cruise on which we were routed to two ports in the Bahamas rather than our original port of Cozumel. Another time, we had to skip the port of Sydney, Nova Scotia as remnants of Hurricane Irene were on our tail.

Yet, one other time several years later, we kept our Bermuda itinerary while sailing through a storm that kept transitioning between a tropical storm and category 1 hurricane. Interestingly enough, her name was Irene, also.

Dwayne 08-30-2008 02:36 AM

Even with our re-route we had another storm in that area as well. Though much less intense than Wilma. We had to high tail it out of Nassau. Other than the ship suddenly tilting with a quick turn, it was alright. They probably covered that with the sea trials, however most passengers and crew had never experienced it before. That was in 2005, when there were so many storms they ran out of names and used the Greek Alphabet.

Dwayne

Hank 08-31-2008 07:51 PM

We actually got caught in a hurricane in 1991. It was called Hurricane Bob and it turned out to be a nasty storm that caught two ships (the Meridian (our ship) and the Nordic Prince) as both ships cruised to Bermuca from New York on a Sunday in August 91. The hurricane took an unexpected turn during the night, and caught both ships by surprise. We were in seas of more than 40 feet for about 12 hours. The Meridian did fine, but the Nordic Prince did have some hull damage and a few injuries on-board from the violent motion of the ship. Both ships got through the hurricane and arrived at Bermuda about 2 hours late. It really was no big deal except they did have to cancel all the daily activities on the ship. Many were quite sick (including lots of the crew) but those of us who love rough seas had a great time.

Hank

Jill SC 09-02-2008 06:49 AM

Last year we were sailing down the coast from Charleston to Fort Lauderdale as hurricane Noel was passing by. It was three hundred mile to the east of us, so all we experienced was some rough seas. Didn't particularly bother us, but some people were sea sick.

CruiseMstr 09-05-2008 11:58 AM

In 2006 i was cruising on royal carrbieans sovergn of the seas to bahammas and we ran in to a hurricane that was 100 miles away, but the cruise was very smooth didnt encounter any rough seas, I'm so glad because i hate rough seas cruises