Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2004, 12:25 PM

When we were on our first cruise, 17 yrs ago, we wore a patch to prevent seasickness (I think it was called Transderm Scop, the "Scop" being the first 4 letters of the actual drug that the patch contained). Well, we're finally going on our second cruise 3/6/04, and wondered whether we should get this patch again (I think it's back on the market). It's funny-I remember a lot of talk about seasickness back then, little or no mention of it now...is it because ships are more stable now? We'll be on Grandeur of the Seas...
Old 02-22-2004, 12:25 PM

When we were on our first cruise, 17 yrs ago, we wore a patch to prevent seasickness (I think it was called Transderm Scop, the "Scop" being the first 4 letters of the actual drug that the patch contained). Well, we're finally going on our second cruise 3/6/04, and wondered whether we should get this patch again (I think it's back on the market). It's funny-I remember a lot of talk about seasickness back then, little or no mention of it now...is it because ships are more stable now? We'll be on Grandeur of the Seas...
Old 02-22-2004, 12:50 PM

We just returned from the Paradise. on our first cruise I got seasick and suffered terribly for a day and a half. Of course we hit a storm and it even knocked the power out on the ship for several hours. The next two cruises I did fine even though the dining room at our last cruise was almost empty for three or four of the nights. We did have some movement on the ship, which this time didn't bother me but obviously bothered many others. My advice is if you worry about it, go to your Dr. and get the patch. Better safe than sick.
Old 02-22-2004, 04:37 PM

Kiefr, there are many other products on the market you might want to get instead. We find the "sea bands" to be very effective - they work on the pressure points on the underside of the wrist - and now there is a battery operated band called a Relief Band that releases electric impulses to pressure points. I understand that is VERY effective, but also pricy - costs about $85 online, and $125 in a marine store I went in to. There is the usual over the counter meds like Bonine and Dramamine. Perhaps if you have used the Scop patch before it will be okay for you, but be advised many people have side effects - like the inability to read or focus. It has been known to cause hallucinations....I would proceed cautiously with the Scop patch, especially with the Relief Band getting such rave reviews. Then, there's always ginger......
Old 02-22-2004, 06:19 PM

I am a pharmacist and I took the patch along with me on our first cruise just in case. The first night was very rough so I slapped a patch on...big mistake. The side effects were much worse then the rough seas. I remained dizzy and out of it the entire cruise and for almost a week after. If you are really prone to seasickness, I recommend Bonine (meclizine), Dramamine, the sea band or ask your doctor for a prescription of Phenergan tablets for seasickness with nausea. Any of the above are better than the Transderm Scop.
Old 02-23-2004, 01:29 PM

My Mom and I went on a cruise and she got some of the patches from her doctor before we went. I asked MY doctor about them and she said not to use a whole patch at once because of the side effects. She advised to cut the patch in half and only use one half at a time. It seemed to help her without the side effects.
Old 02-25-2004, 11:00 AM

I GUESS IT DEPENDS ON THE INDIVIDUAL...I HAVE USED THE PATCHES MANY TIMES AND NEVER HAD ANY SIDE EFFECTS FROM IT...I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THEM...WE HAD A VERY BAD NIGHT ON ONE OF MY CRUISES AND ALOT OF PEOPLE WERE SICK...ONE GUY WAS GREEN AND I GAVE HIM A PATCH AND IT STARTED WORKING RIGHT AWAY...HE ALSO NOW SWEARS BY THEM....I ALSO USE THEM TO GO DEEP SEA FISHING...LIKE I SAID I GUESS THEY EFFECT DIFFERENT PEOPLE DIFFERENT WAYS...
Old 02-25-2004, 08:23 PM

I think that is true of any of the motion sickness remedies. I have friends for whom wristbands and ginger work like a charm, but for me - not at all. I'd recommend to anyone concerned about motion sickness (especially if they have tendencies toward it on land, say in a car) that they take several remedies along - get a prescription for the patch, buy some Bonine (it's inexpensive) and maybe get some wristbands too. (I have seen both the latter at Walgreens.) Start with the least intrusive, and if it doesn't work, go to the next step. Just be sure not to combine medications!

Closed Thread

Tags
bands, cruise, half, location, patch, patches, prescription, review, reviews, scop, scope, sea, seasick, tranderm, transderm