Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2008, 05:49 AM
Hello,

I just want to know has anybody ever been on a cruise where the weather was so bad that the ship had to evacuate, or has anybody ever been on a cruise where u had to evacuate??

Caribbean Resort Reviews
Old 09-15-2008, 09:06 AM
Administrator

Define "evacuate". Do you mean the ship had to leave a port, or the people had to abandon ship?
Old 09-17-2008, 02:44 PM
Meaning when the passengers had to abandon ship!!!

Caribbean Resort Reviews
Old 09-17-2008, 03:04 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Meaning when the passengers had to abandon ship!!!
A Captain is not going to abandon ship because of the weather. Ships are abandoned when they are no longer seaworthy. Modern ships are more resilient than many think. As long as a ship is not in danger of sinking, or an out-of-control fire, nobody will be headed for the lifeboats. I doubt we have any members who've ever had to abandon ship. It is too rare an event.
Old 09-17-2008, 04:31 PM
Banned

The rare case you hear about are usually ships that sail from Greece or European ports.

The US has a fairly stringent list of regulations that ship builders must abide by.

However, that is why the Muster Drill is exercised on every cruise.

Severe fire is just about the only reason I could think where a modern cruise ship "might" have to have their guest flee to the lifeboats.

And even then it would have to be a severe fire, because they actually practice putting fires out and working through smoke etc to put fires out.
Old 09-17-2008, 04:50 PM
Administrator

Fire at sea is the worst nightmare for a crew. Worse than taking on water. I've been there in my Navy time. We were transiting from Norfolk to the Med for a deployment, about mid-way across the Atlantic, and one night an electrical fire broke out in an MG room (motor-generator) two decks below my berthing area. Electrical fires are bad when they get into cable trays and we thought this one had done so. So it was at 0200 hours that the Captain decided to man "Repair 5" which was the emergency station on the mess deck as a backup fire fighting force, while the main fire fighting force fought the fire. We set a modified Condition Zebra too, which established barriers. We actually came close to bringing the ship to Battle Stations since that is the most secure level of readiness. In the end, we got the fire out and secured. This was on the USS Texas (CGN-39) in 1981.
Old 09-17-2008, 06:05 PM
Thanks alot dave and LHP for all the helpful information i was just curious about that. Thanks alot

Caribbean Resort Reviews
Old 09-18-2008, 12:00 AM

I just want to add that I have been on cruise ships when they have had the crew practice fire simulations. They are very strict about it.

Dwayne
Old 09-18-2008, 11:08 AM

The only time I've been on board the lifeboats are when we're tendering into a port. If you're worried about having to abandon ship CruiseMstr, please don't. They didn't abandon ship when the Crown caught on fire. As all have said, it would have to be severe. They can close off sections of the ship to contain the fire. They have bilge pumps to get rid of water if they take water on. The crew has mandatory drills constantly for safety. The muster is very important to attend, no matter how many cruises you've been on. Relax and enjoy, you'll be fine.
Old 09-18-2008, 04:50 PM
Thanks alot penny

Caribbean Resort Reviews

Closed Thread

Tags
bad, caribbean, cgn39, cruise, list, muster, texas, uss, weather