Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   General Cruise Chat (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/general-cruise-chat/)
-   -   Regarding Travel Insurance (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/general-cruise-chat/32632-regarding-travel-insurance.html)

SRT 06-21-2005 01:03 PM

If you have an emergency does the insurance cover up front or do they just reimburse you. I am very concerned about this issue.

BeachBunny 06-21-2005 01:10 PM

I might be wrong but I believe it depends on the kind of policy you have and what the emrgency circumstances are. If I remember there was a 24 hour emergeny hotline that was provided with my policy for my last cruise - used Travel Insured(was recommended on this site)
Sandy

Oggy Boy 06-21-2005 02:48 PM

Many insurers offer "secondary" policies that pay after all other policies are exhausted and also generally pay later. You want to be sure that the insurer that you go with is a "primary" insurer and has the ability to help you when you need help. Travel Insured's 24 hour emergency hotline is a great example of what you are looking for.

Tom

Lady Vidora 06-21-2005 06:28 PM

What about a pet's medical condition or death? Are there any that cover that?

NancyN 06-21-2005 06:48 PM

Hmm, good question Lady Vidora, but to my knowledge they do not cover death or illness of a pet as reason for cancellation or interruption of your trip.
Nancy

06-29-2005 02:43 PM

Concerning Travel Insurance - We had a policy for our last cruise on RCCL. We purchased the policy thru the travel agent. My wife got sick on the cruise and we had a bill for $1500. The cruise line billed us and we had to go to the travel insurance folks to get our money back. We did have a "small" battle between the travel insurance folks and my regular insurance folks. My regular insurance folks fought the battles for me and the travel insurance folks paid up. Even though we has a small hassle getting out money back, I highly recommend travel insurance.

Karen Knowlton 06-29-2005 06:59 PM

The "battle" may have been because the travel insurance policy was a secondary policy, as Tom described above. "Primary" policies, which pay first, are more expensive, and many people opt for the less expensive "secondary" ones, but then they do run into the back-and-forth stuff between their other insurers and the travel insurance company.

In any case, you're right, travel insurance is well worth it! I do not travel without it.

06-30-2005 07:13 AM

The last two cruises we were on, we had folks air lifted to a hospital, and my wife was almost the third - that made a believer out of me.

CaribbeanBlue 06-30-2005 11:33 AM

It's really accepting an unreasonable risk to travel witout travel insurance. You are out of your normal routine so the chances of something bad happening is increased. The cost is so low compared to the risk involved. I encourage ANY traveler to "not leave home without it".