Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2007, 08:25 AM

Has anyone driven from Atlanta (or Atlanta area) to Port Canaveral? I'm wondering where a good half way point would be to stop and spend the night - I'm thinking Valdosta. I'd even consider driving a little further than half way to spend the night - I don't want to be late getting to the ship the next day!!
Old 02-28-2007, 08:34 AM
Banned

Valdosta is good. Another good stop with lots of options is Jacksonville, about 2 hours further. You may want to consider this because traffic can get bad during rush hour in Jacksonville. That way you are there and can start your drive a little later if you want.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:56 AM

Hi lharry,

We live in the Atanta area and have driven to Port Canaveral 4 times. We always drive and stop in Orange Park off of I-295 (Jacksonville). This is the Jacksonvill by-pass. Should take you 6 to 6.5 hours. Have fun.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 02-28-2007, 09:56 AM

Is there a particular Hotel you would recommend off if I-295 in Jacksonville?

Also, how much further do we have from Jacksonville to Port Canaveral?

Here's the thing - It will be spring break, and we won't be able to leave until after the kids get out of school on Friday - around 4:30ish, so we will be driving in rush hour traffic plus the spring break rush. Our ship leaves Port Canveral on Saturday afternoon.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:15 AM

If you do go to Orange Park, there is a LaQuinta, Best Western Hotel & Suits, or Hampton Inn. You will have a little over a 2 hour drive to Canaveral.

You can always stay in Lake Park GA. This is 2nd to the last exit in Ga. just south of Valdosta. They have a Hampton Inn there. You would have a 3 and a half to 4 hour drive to Canaveral from here.

There is not much in between these 2 stops. Hope this helps.

Old 02-28-2007, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by lharry:
get out of school on Friday - around 4:30ish, so we will be driving in rush hour traffic plus the spring break rush. Our ship leaves Port Canveral on Saturday afternoon.
All the more reason to get farther on Friday if you can! You don't want to be arriving late to port!
Old 02-28-2007, 04:09 PM

I live halfway between Savannah, GA and Jacksonville, FL. If you take I-16 to SAvannah, that would be a good place. Or you could drive down I-95 to Brunswick, GA or St. Simons/Jekyll Island. It will take around 4 hours to get to the port from Brunswick straight down I-95.

When are you cruising?

Josh

Carnival Glory - May 2009
Carnival Glory - April 2007
Carnival Glory - April 2005

Old 03-01-2007, 03:12 AM

Don't forget, there is currently 30 miles of construction going on I-75 between Cordel and Valdosta. Police are very active in these areas.
(even during the hours of darkness)
(they also use unmarked SUV's)

Free Cruise Tickers

Closed Thread

Tags
atlanta, canaveral, cruise, driving, easiest, fl, forum, ga, halfway, hotels, police, port, rome, savannah, time