Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2006, 06:02 AM

This will be our second cruise with two now teenaged kids. Last time we had two rooms, one across the hall from the other, and it was great. I wonder about the cost savings for a "quad room", and what the layout for one is like, etc. I know that you really don't spend lots of time in the room, but physically what is the layout for four people to sleep, and is it just too crowded?
Old 09-03-2006, 06:42 AM

larry13larry,

welcome to Cruise-Chat.com.

There are hundreds of cruise ships in the world, so it'svirtually impossible to say what cost savings are possible, how the rooms are laid out etc.

As far as cost savings are concerned, kids sail for free on some cruise lines when occupying a cabin with their parents, so in that case you can actually save quite a lot of money.

Quad cabins often have two lower beds (like standard twin cabins) and two upper pullman berths. Some also have sofa beds. The overall size of the cabin has to be considered in particular when booking a quad cabin. Some ships' standard cabins can be a bit tight for two people already while others are tolerable even for four adults. The "bottleneck" of a cabin usually is the bathroom, which often can be used by one or a maximum of two people at the same time.

Raoul Fiebig

Old 09-03-2006, 07:37 AM

Thanks, Raoul. Looking specifically at RCCI Voyager or hopefully Freedom. I'm not dreaming of getting anything for free (teens not babies) but I wish there were some pictures or diagrams or something. Hard to imagine 4 normal sized humans in one of those small rooms, but I'd love to be corrected if I'm wrong and it's bearable.
Old 09-03-2006, 08:10 AM

larry13larry,

some cruise lines actually do offer free passage for teens up to the age of 17, as well, not only for babies. But those are mostly European lines.

A standard cabin on either a "Voyager"-class ship or "Freedom of the Seas" will be very tight for four people. Personally, I wouldn't want to do it.

Raoul Fiebig

Old 09-03-2006, 10:29 AM

our last cruise we did 2 cabins also. We sailed Carnival and I can tell you the quad cabins are the same size as interior and I would not want to do the 4 of us in one cabin. Our kids are 19 and 15 and we would be on top of each other in the cabin. My oldest son basically pitches in with us to get the 2nd room because he doesn't want to be that tight either
Old 09-05-2006, 12:46 PM

You can go to www.cruisedeckplans.com and see most any ship you desire. Not exactly what you may need, but at least a general idea of the room size and layout. Good luck.
Old 09-06-2006, 02:35 PM

We had one adult and two teenagers in an inside cabin and I don't know how we would have survived with a 4th person and that person's stuff. You aren't in the cabin much, but the lack of storage space was a bigger headache for us. Finding a place to stash suitcases and then in the bathroom everyone had their own shampoo, skin care products scattered all over the counter.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:18 PM

We have done 4 in a cabin twice, but that four is Me, the Wife and our two per teen daughters. They fit nicely in the overhead bunk and the sofa/bed.. Most of the time they both slept in the bunk. But either way its not too bad. BUT, change that to four full size people and the story would most likely change. I say 3 adults is about the limit. And I agree with you Roscoe... the limit is more in storage space than people space. I imagine the other issue could be showering with that many people wanting to shower at once. A solution there is to go up and use the Spa/gym showers. They are nicer and bigger...
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 09-06-2006, 07:23 PM

I think what everyone is saying is better than not going but probably not the most ideal way to do it.
Old 09-07-2006, 07:53 AM

We did it on the Costa-ship Mediterranea. We had a so called Panorama Suite on the Narcisco deck for us twei adults and our sons /15 and 17/.
The one slept on a sofa bed, the other on a pulmann berth. In this suite we had enough place. The only thing is the bathroom. But at home we have also only one toilet. So we had no problem. The normal cabins are too small for four persons. Do'nt do it.
Regards
Uwe

Closed Thread

Tags
cabin, carnival, configuration, conquest, cruise, cruises, dream, inside, people, person, quad, reviews, room, rooms, space, survive