Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2006, 03:33 PM

Hello all! Just found this place kinda by accident. I'm a cruise virgin. We're leaving for our first cruise during Thanksgiving week...going to the western caribbean. Thought I'd chat with others and find out all I can about this stuff before we go.

Look forward to chatting with ya'll!! Thanks.

Mel

Old 06-02-2006, 03:56 PM
Administrator

Hi Mel,

Welcome to Cruise-Chat! If you have a question there is someone here who has the answer.

Our first cruise was a Thanksgiving cruise - back in 1992. It is a good time to be in the Caribbean.

Welcome aboard....
Old 06-02-2006, 04:02 PM

Thanks!

One of the reasons we picked that time is that we're hoping to have less children/teens on board to deal with. Do you think it's usually older people during this time? We're in the doorway of 30 and the other couple we're going with is in their 30s too and neither of us have kids or care to deal with it much this week- hoping for lots of quiet!!

Old 06-02-2006, 04:39 PM

Cruise Virgin,

Welcome to Cruise Chat
You'll find this site very helpful.

Sorry to burst your bubble, BUT, change your cruise date quick if you do not want to deal with children.
Holiday times are the worst possible time to cruise if you want to avoid children.
There are always loads of families onboard with their kids. Christmas is probably worse than Thanksgiving if I recall.

HOPE this does not spoil your cruise. Do not allow it to.

Happy planning.

Cathy

Link to my webshots:
http://community.webshots.com/user/s...host=community
Old 06-02-2006, 06:08 PM

ugh really???? The TA told us that this was one of the better times...that it'd be mostly older people. We were kinda wondering if the week before or after Thanksgiving week might be better though.

Bummer. Guess they lied to us then?? ggr.

We're going with another couple and we've both been dealing with infertility for several years and so lots of small children, babies, preggos are a painful reminder...and if we were going to be flooded by them - well we wanted to avoid that as much as possible. Also- the other couple has been on carnival before and they said the trip was ruined because the ship was overrun with teens everywhere- they had taken all the deck chairs and everything.

Old 06-02-2006, 07:48 PM

Yes, cruising the week before or after the week of Thanksgiving would probably be best as far as minimal childern goes. Those weeks would probably be less expensive also.

You are still outside of the "no refund" window, if you can get the extra vacation time, call the travel agent back and see if you can move your cruise. Except for airfare possibly, there should not be a charge this far out to move you dates.

If your TA gives you grief about, find another one because that would definetly not be a cruise friendly TA...

Jim
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 06-02-2006, 08:02 PM

ok. I appreciate your alls honestly and I'd rather us find out now then later.

Yes the prices were a lot cheaper right before or after turkey week too. We hadn't booked air yet- we were going on our own with that so....that part shouldn't be a problem. I'll have to let our other couple know and see what they say.

Geesh. That wasn't very nice of that TA then. I'm tired of people making up answers just cause they don't know. Or maybe he really didn't know any better? pshaw.

Thanks a ton!!!!

Old 06-02-2006, 08:55 PM

My wife and I have had pretty good luck during the first part of October as well as Feb. We went thru the infertility stuff as well. Tried invetro several times, what a waist of money.

It will get better in time, 38 now and starting to like being Kid free.

Have fun on your cruise.

Read and post cruise reviews

Enchantment 2007
Serenade 2006
Majesty 2006
Sovereign 2004
Sovereign 2003
Sovereign 2002
Old 06-02-2006, 10:06 PM

You should consider on of Royal Caribbeans Voyager class ships. The new Freedom of the Seas or The Navigator of the Seas. They are huge ships and you will never feel over run by anyone. We went last October and there were very few teens or children. These ships are lots of fun and are big enough even if there are kids on there. Visit www.freedomoftheseas.com to see this ship.
Old 06-03-2006, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cruise Virgin:

Geesh. That wasn't very nice of that TA then. I'm tired of people making up answers just cause they don't know. Or maybe he really didn't know any better? pshaw.

Thanks a ton!!!!
Virgin, it's possible that your travel agent was on a Thanksgiving cruise once and didn't see a lot of kids, but it could have been on a cruise line that attracts an older crowd to begin with.

I think you'd like Royal Caribbean better than Carnival, and agree with the suggestion of the Voyager class ship, on a non-holiday cruise. Although no one can predict the number of children on any cruise, going during a school week is a better bet than a holiday week!

Sandy

Closed Thread