Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2008, 06:58 AM

we are making plans for out late summer cruise. has anyone flown to port since the new luggage prices have been in effect. can you get everything for a 7 day cruise in one checked and one carry on.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:00 AM

I can, my hubby can't. We'll be paying dearly for luggage if we fly, but when possible, we drive.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:21 AM

My husband and I take one hard sided folding suit bag, and 1 carry on each. Choose clothes that are light weight not bulky. Pack with a combination of rolling and folding clothes. Put small items like socks inside your shoes. Remember you will probably be in your bathing suit a lot and shorts. I take one pair of dress shoes, 1 pair of sandals, and one pair of flat casual shoes.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:09 AM

Which airlines are you taking?
Old 04-14-2008, 11:09 AM

On our cruise last month, there were four of us. My husband and I shared one large suitcase (it weighed 51 pounds on the trip home), my 2 girls shared 1 medium suitcase, then we had 2 duffels that we checked, one with toiletries and liquids, and one with just shoes (we each needed between 3-4 pairs for the trip). On the plane, my girls had purses with MP3 players and such in them, and I had a backpack style purse with our travel docs and such. If you and husband and squeeze your clothing in one suitcase, then you can have a whole other one for extras.

MamaofEnS
Carnival Ecstasy June 2002
Carnival Elation August 2000
Celebrity Century June 1998
Carnival Carnivale August 1993

Old 04-14-2008, 05:15 PM

I am traveling with my sister, we are 1000 miles apart. So I pack my stuff, she packs hers, fly in from different airports and met on the ship. I tend to over pack too. But we have snorkeling equipment, that takes up lots of room.
I am thinking about taking just a few shorts and capris and using the laundry.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:29 PM

That is a good idea. We had snorkeling equipment too which is bulky and hard to pack, but I'm glad we had them. When we packed, the plan was that there were at least 7 outfits with just 5 tops and 5 bottoms, so we wore several things twice. We also would "dress up" for the evenings by taking off the shorts, and putting on a skirt, selecting fancier shoes, but leave our tops on. This worked great.

MamaofEnS
Carnival Ecstasy June 2002
Carnival Elation August 2000
Celebrity Century June 1998
Carnival Carnivale August 1993

Old 04-14-2008, 10:17 PM
I've gotten packing down to an art, rolling clothes, etc. One suitcase and one carry on for a two week cruise. The secret is to take lighter clothes than can be mixed. Another trick, divide some of the things between you, even when it's two friends and not a couple. One brings toothpaste and mouthwash, the other one brings shampoo and conditioner.

Need some cruise help?
Old 04-15-2008, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Another trick, divide some of the things between you, even when it's two friends and not a couple. One brings toothpaste and mouthwash, the other one brings shampoo and conditioner.
That's a great idea. Never thought of that. Thanks!

Sandy
Old 04-15-2008, 07:19 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MamaofEnS:
On our cruise last month, there were four of us. My husband and I shared one large suitcase (it weighed 51 pounds on the trip home), my 2 girls shared 1 medium suitcase, then we had 2 duffels that we checked, one with toiletries and liquids, and one with just shoes (we each needed between 3-4 pairs for the trip). On the plane, my girls had purses with MP3 players and such in them, and I had a backpack style purse with our travel docs and such. If you and husband and squeeze your clothing in one suitcase, then you can have a whole other one for extras.

MamaofEnS
But when the airlines loses your luggage then neither of you have anything. At least when they lose my wife's luggage she can wear my kilt until it catches up. When they lose mine I look a little silly in her skirts. But seriously, another idea is to each take a suitcase but mix your possesions then if you do lose one you each have something to wear

Closed Thread