Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2006, 11:05 AM

Guys, first off I am not worried about it. I just thought it was interesting. I know a lot of people come on here and say they are scared of crusing or whatever but not me, so just keep your shorts on.

As for the history channel show not being factual....I dont think the history channel makes a habit of spreading rhetoric.
Old 05-11-2006, 07:31 PM

Yep, I saw the show and watched with great interest..I guess you could say you are experiencing first hand why the captains of many ships were afraid to talk about rogue waves, just like the show said. You don't even have a ship and the naysayers are alive and well.

You are so right! Nothing to be afraid of out there, other than pirates maybe, but I suppose the news about them is crap not fact too?!?!?
Old 05-11-2006, 07:49 PM

No, the pirates are real enough, but are pretty much confined to an area off the east coast of Africa. They are from Somalia, which currently has no government or rule of law to speak of, and cruise lines have already re-routed any itineraries in that area to avoid them.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:03 PM

Aarggh! Pirates... Aaarggh!

Darn skalley-wags...shiver me timbers...

By the way.. what the heck is "me timbers" and why did the pirates want them "shivered". Maybe this site is too family orientated to answer that...
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 05-17-2006, 09:16 AM

Wow you can google anything:
Shiver My Timbers! ... (expletive denoting surprise or disbelief)
Presumably, this expression alludes to a ship's striking a rock or shoal so hard that her timbers shiver. The expression was first seen in 1834 in the novel _Jacob Faithfully_ by Frederick Marryat. In 1881, Robert Louis Stevenson found it to be the perfect exclamation for the irascible Long John Silver: "So! Shiver me timbers, here's Jim Hawkins!" This stereotypical expletive became extremely popular with writers of sea yarns and Hollywood swashbucklers.
From _When a Loose Cannon Flogs a Dead Horse There's the Devil to Pay: Seafaring Words in Everyday Speech_ (1996) by Olivia A. Isil

Never knew that.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:37 AM

And here's Skally-Wag: (scallywag)

"A scamp, rascal, or rogue; an amusingly mischievous child.

The word—very variably spelled—appeared first in the US. It was applied to undersized or ill-formed cattle, or to some disreputable person. After the Civil War, it became a term of abuse specifically aimed at those white Southerners who were prepared to accept the measures imposed during Reconstruction, often because they would profit from them. It shifted a little later to mean any politician who was corrupt or an intriguer. It has softened since, being a term these days of only mild reproach, often combined with gentle admiration.

Where it comes from is a matter of some dispute, though the Scots tongue seems to be an intermediary. Some authorities point to the Scots’ word scoloc, the name given to the first-born son of a tenant of a monastery who was given to the church to receive an ecclesiastical education. Later, the word could refer to any monastic tenant, and got turned into scallag for a farm servant or rustic person, also latterly a way of addressing a boy. And there’s also the word scurryvaig for a vagabond, lout or slattern, which might be an influence, if not the source. Either way, it looks as though Latin is involved, since scoloc is really the same word as scholar (from Latin schola) and scurryvaig may have originated in Latin scurra vagus, a wandering fool (scurra is also the source of our scurrilous).

Its abbreviation, scally, is widely known in the north-west of England, especially around Liverpool, for a roguish self-assured young person—typically male—who is boisterous, disruptive, or irresponsible."

with a bow to Michael Quinion's World Wide Words and found on ASK.com.

Closed Thread

Tags
afraid, baltic, carnival, cruise, rogue, wave, waves