Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   General Cruise Chat (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/general-cruise-chat/)
-   -   Visa required? Shots? (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/general-cruise-chat/33119-visa-required-shots.html)

TrvlPro 02-18-2008 12:20 PM

We've had a lot of discussion about passports on here lately. Along with that there are some places where, when cruising, your passport is not enough. Be aware that the following list is an updated list of locations where U.S. and Canadian citizens will be required to have a visa if they are on your itinerary.

Australia
Brazil
Cambodia
China
Egypt
India
Indonesia
Jordan
Kenya
Libya
Myanmar
Oman
Russia
Senegal
Seychelles
South Africa
Sri Lanka
Turkey
Vietnam

Also for sailings to South America, Africa, Asia/Far East, the South Pacific and the Middle East, always ask the reservation agent if vaccinations are necessary. Currently yellow fever shots are required by the cruise line for sailings calling on Brazil, Kenya, Indonesia, and Senegal. For more info on this you can visit www.cdc.gov

Cheers, Neil

Larry in Miami 02-18-2008 01:48 PM

Yellow fever? Now THAT would ruin a vacation a lot faster that Norovirus. http://cruise-chat.com/groupee_commo...icon_smile.gif

LHT28 02-18-2008 02:32 PM

some places do not require visa if you are arriving by cruise ship for the day or doing cruisetours. EG: Russia, Turkey
Be sure to ask your TA and if they do not know check the country requirements

TrvlPro 02-18-2008 02:51 PM

Lyn is right, you may not have to obtain a visa on your own for Turkey or Russia. I say MAY NOT because many of the cruiselines buy what is called a blanket visa for these ports that would cover you for cruiseline excursions only. If you want to do outside excursions or just get off and see things on your own, you will be required to have an individual visa. Also if you're flying to either spot to begin your cruise (not likely with mainstream lines) or visit before your cruise, you'll have to have the visa to arrive by air. If any of the ports above are on your itinerary ask lots of questions and get info from the Governments website that deals with the info to be sure you have exactly what you need. www.travel.state.gov is the State Dept. website that has most of the info you'll need and the CDC one for shot info. If in doubt investigate, don't get surprised!

Cheers, Neil

Cruise Fanatic 02-18-2008 02:52 PM

As Lyn says check with your TA based on your plans. In Vietnam I didn't need a Visa because we did a ships tour. In Russia I didn't need a Visa because we booked with one of the authorized Russian tour companies and it was part of their tour.

LHT28 02-18-2008 06:14 PM

If you arrive or depart Turkey via Air you need a visa if you are just stopping in Turkey you do not need a Visa even if you do not do the ship's tour.

penny3333 02-21-2008 08:47 AM

We are required to have Yellow Fever vaccinations for our cruise in December. I find it strange since we didn't the first time we sailed to Trinidad, but this time we go to Tobago. Devil's Island also requires it. We have to wait to get more people that need the vaccination to get it. The nurse told me they have to purchase a vial with 5 shots in it. The shots have to be used within 1 hour of opening the vial and they can't throw away 3 shots because it is too expensive. I guess we might have to travel to Birmingham or Nashville to get one, maybe even Atlanta.

TrvlPro 02-21-2008 09:52 AM

Penny, you may well do better in a Metro area with the vaccine availability and pricing. Once you get it, get the hot spots on your cruise wish list out of the way within 5 years and you won't have to have another. So, if you've wanted to do South America and hit Rio, Santiago and the Amazon (Manaus). Plan it within that time frame after your Tobago trip and you'll be all set!

Cheers, Neil

Larry in Miami 02-21-2008 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by penny3333:
We are required to have Yellow Fever vaccinations for our cruise in December. I find it strange since we didn't the first time we sailed to Trinidad, but this time we go to Tobago. Devil's Island also requires it. We have to wait to get more people that need the vaccination to get it. The nurse told me they have to purchase a vial with 5 shots in it. The shots have to be used within 1 hour of opening the vial and they can't throw away 3 shots because it is too expensive. I guess we might have to travel to Birmingham or Nashville to get one, maybe even Atlanta.
Not sure how far that trip is for you but it may be cheaper/easier to just pay for the unused vaccines and get it done nearby.

Lil' Lori 02-21-2008 11:09 AM

Hi Neil. Thanks for posting this list. What about Singapore?? I was on several websites, and couldn't figure out if US citizens need a visa to travel to Singapore? Is there a website, that list which countries require US citizens/Canadians require a visa to travel there? Thanks, Lori