Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2007, 02:12 PM

Hi All- First time posting by a soon to be first time cruiser.

I am trying to coordinate my air schedule for my cruise departure and subsequent arrival. How many hours before departure does one need to be on board?
Also, how long after the ship dock is it before you get kicked off?

Thank you in advance for these rookie questions.
Old 04-28-2007, 02:12 PM

Hi All- First time posting by a soon to be first time cruiser.

I am trying to coordinate my air schedule for my cruise departure and subsequent arrival. How many hours before departure does one need to be on board?
Also, how long after the ship dock is it before you get kicked off?

Thank you in advance for these rookie questions.
Old 04-28-2007, 02:25 PM
You should be onboard at least 1 hr prior to sailing time but I would not cut it that close.
If you are flying in try to arrive before noon or the day before just in case there are delays someplace.
disembarkation they usually want you out of the cabin by 8 am and off the ship by 9:30 -10am at the latest.
This is all depends on the cruiselines & immigration (if the ship is cleared)
If flying on disembarkation day don't book flights before noon.
Alexandr Pushkin, Carnival-Holiday, HAL-(old)Westerdam, Orient lines-Marco Polo, Royal Olympic-Olympic, NCL-Dream, Dawn-Princess, ACCL-Grande Caribe, Oceania-Insignia (3), Regatta(4) Marina (1) St Lawrence Cruise Lines-Canadian Empress

FUTURE CRUISES:
Scenic River cruise June 11,2012
Old 04-28-2007, 02:36 PM
Administrator

If at all possible, I strongly urge everyone to arrive a day prior to the cruise departure. Too many things can happen these days when it comes to flying. A security event in Seattle can cause delays across the continent. Or yesterday's severe weather can cause delays and cancellations today - I have personal experience with that one on three different occasions. Once on our flights to the cruise (which were the day prior, so the delays didn't affect the cruise) and twice on our flights home.

It is worth the price of a hotel room to come down to the port a day before and wake up relaxed and ready to cruise.

If you insist on flying down on embarkation day, don't push it. Leave early and try to get flights which arrive no later than noon. For most cruises this still allows you a couple hours for delays.

Customs has become a pain in some ports - south Florida in particular. They control things on debarkation day. It is typical for everyone to be off the ship by 10am, although exceptions do happen. In other words, don't book a 10am flight and expect to make it. We usually look for something around 1pm or so when cruising out of Miami. Noon is doable if cruising out of Port Everglades and flying from FLL.

Which cruise are you on, and when is it?
Old 04-28-2007, 03:29 PM

Seabourn Pride out of Bridgetown, Barbados.

Ship departs at 11pm. I am flying in the day before but check out of the hotel is around noon. I figure I will store the luggage at the hotel and explore Barbados some. My thought is that we should be allowed on board by 6 or 7pm.

We return at 8am and my flight is not until 3pm. I am trying to figure out what to do between arrival and air departure.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Old 04-28-2007, 03:53 PM
Administrator

You probably can board even earlier than that. I don't know what to say to a first time cruiser, who's first cruise is on Seabourn. I guess "you'll never be happy with anything less" comes to mind. Nice choice!
Old 04-29-2007, 06:19 AM

All I can say is Welcome Aboard!

You are in good hands! I have enjoyed all your movies and television series
Old 04-29-2007, 12:52 PM
Banned

Dwayne, I had to laugh when I read your last post. Very funny. A'ndrea
Old 05-02-2007, 10:31 AM

Barbados is a nice island. Since you'll be sailing the next day and will be able to stash your luggage at the hotel, I recommend doing a catamaran sail/snorkel while waiting to board. We have used Tiami the 4 times we've been to Barbados. The catamarans are great, the crews have been marvelous, and if you do the one with lunch, the food was great. They take you to 2 sites, one for snorkeling with the turtles and the other to a nice beach for relaxing with a great rum punch. Since you'll be boarding, you can take a shower and get ready for dinner once on board. The caverns are an interesting excursion as well. Hope you have a wonderful time!
Old 05-02-2007, 10:38 AM

I sailed the Seabourn Pride from St. Thomas to Barbados in 1995, with a ship's tour of Barbados after disembarking. Lots of beautiful beaches to see and experience. I'm sure the Pride has a late departure time because Barbados isn't accessible by non-stop flights, so it takes folks a while to get there. But as was mentioned, you can board the ship much earlier, maybe as early as 1pm. Certainly you want to be onboard before drinks and dinner.

Sandy

Closed Thread

Tags
arrive, board, boarding, costa, cruise, depart, departure, long, oceania, oceaniawhat, pm, ship, start, time, vs