Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2008, 09:02 AM
My husband and I are going on our fourth cruise to the Caribbean in February but can't for the life of us remember how much it usually costs to rent snorkel equipment. Can anyone refresh our memory?

We're planning to snorkel on our own at several stops and we're thinking it might be cheaper to just buy our own bare bones snorkeling gear rather than rent it on the spot.

Interested to get other people's takes on this - also, if you bought your own gear, how much was it and can you recommend anything for casual snorkelers? We don't need anything high end.

Thanks!

Booked on NCL Breakaway, Feb. 2014
Carnival Conquest, Feb. 2012
NCL Gem, Sept. 2011
NCL Jewel, Feb. 2011
NCL Dawn, Sept. 2010
NCL Spirit, Feb. 2010
NCL Gem, March 2009
RCCL Explorer of the Seas, Feb. 2008
Carnival Miracle, May 2007
Carnival Conquest, April 2006
Caribbean Princess, Feb. 2005
Old 01-06-2008, 09:29 AM

We bought our own snorkel equipment for sanitary reasons, except for the vests. We have never had much luck with anything inflatable and figured that in the long run it was cheaper and safer for us to rent!

The cost of renting is minimal but of course you have to waste a bit of time in line.

Then again, you have to lug your own stuff around and it takes up a bit of room with flippers and all.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:32 AM

Forgot to mention, Costco has a snorkel set and even has a coupon coming up shortly in their book. It is a good deal. No vest though. Comes with snorkel (a little nicer than the rentals) fins and mask in a carry bag. A good make.
Old 01-06-2008, 04:40 PM
We bought the snorkle kit from Costco - it was $40 - and the best deal we ever did ! ! Since Caribbean packing is light packing, we packed the snorkel packs in our large suitcase. It was well worth the investment, as we'll have them the next time we go....
Old 01-07-2008, 03:28 AM

We bought a standard set about 8 years ago and it has been great. It has evolved over the years. I bought a better mask a few years ago, and a vest. We have saved alot of money by taking our own when we can. At other times when flying, or space is an issue we at least take the snorkel tubes for sanitary reasons, as jmcs mentioned.

I think it is a good investment.

Dwayne
Old 01-07-2008, 09:27 AM

We are a family of four and we all have our own snorkel equipment. Got it from target at the end of summer on clearance. We throw it all in a duffle bag so it doesn't take up much room. Then you can just grab the bag and head out when in port. Then you don't have to worry if there will be rental equipment or not.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 01-07-2008, 10:50 AM

Snorkel gear is a great investment. I would be cautious about buying a kit from a big box store however. The most important thing for enjoying snorkeling is to have a mask that properly fits and does not leak. I would suggest getting a mask and snorkel from a dive shop where you will get a good fit - expect to pay in the range of $30-60 for a silicone mask skirt and make sure you have help to assure a proper fit. I would also suggest renting fins and vest since they are bulky to carry and easy to fit. Another pointer is to avoid yellow snorkel vests as it has been shown that they not only attract sharks but may cause aggressiveness.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:52 AM
Administrator

We have these from Body Glove. They are very comfortable and zero leakage.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:58 AM

Hi Dave - what I was trying to get at is everyone's face has a different shape. A mask that fits you correctly may not fit another person. Masks not only come in different sizes but contours. In my own experience, I find the #1 problem that people have is a leaky mask - it is the most common reason that people give up snorkeling. So I was suggesting not just buying off the shelf or via internet but spending an extra $10 and making sure that you have a mask that does fit you. On the other hand, someone like you may luck out - but I see too many folks that give up because of a poor fitting mask.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:44 AM
Administrator

I wasn't arguing the point, just noting that we got some good masks (on-line)that fit great and don't leak. Going to a dive shop for a fitting is certainly a good idea.

Closed Thread

Tags
buy, buying, carnival, cheaper, costa, cruise, equipment, fascination, gear, norwegian, rent, reviews, rica, snorkel, snorkeling, snorkling, theirs