Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   General Cruise Chat (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/general-cruise-chat/)
-   -   Cruising to Aruba? (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/general-cruise-chat/33310-cruising-aruba.html)

Marylovestocruise 11-30-2007 10:31 AM

Am I being unreasonable to not even consider a cruise that ports in Aruba? Some of my friends said that the government's handling of the Natalie Holloway disappearance didn't make any difference to them, but I decided that I wasn't going to contribute to a country that treated us like they have.

Any thoughts?

Marylovestocruise 11-30-2007 10:31 AM

Am I being unreasonable to not even consider a cruise that ports in Aruba? Some of my friends said that the government's handling of the Natalie Holloway disappearance didn't make any difference to them, but I decided that I wasn't going to contribute to a country that treated us like they have.

Any thoughts?

TrvlPro 11-30-2007 11:00 AM

Finding somewhere to cruise that has a flawless government may leave you few choices for travel. I live in TX and the Harris County Crime Lab was found to have altered DNA and other evidence to get higher conviction rates. There has been a multi-year investigation and many overturned convictions over the whole fiasco. The banking system in the Bahamas and Grand Cayman have long been criticized as places where drug cartels and other illegal organizations can shelter money.

If you feel strongly about the Aruba handling of that case I guess there are many other caribbean alternatives. Personally, I'd just plan my next vacation based on other criteria but you have the right to spend your dollars wherever and however you wish.

Cheers, Neil

Marylovestocruise 11-30-2007 11:18 AM

Neil,

Thanks for opening my eyes a little wider. I hadn't really thought about all the possibilities of corruption possible anywhere. I guess I have just wanted to take a stand where I probably didn't need to.

Can't blame the entire country or its people for the mistakes of a few, right?

Thanks for your input.

Mary

Marcus27 11-30-2007 04:46 PM

I agree with Neil. Especially since Aruba is such a beautiful country. My best friend got married down there and it really is paradise. Plus my wife and I are cruising down there next year and can't wait to get back. The people in the tourist areas are friendly and don't reflect the gov't. It really is a nice place and highly recommend a trip down.
Marc

Dave 11-30-2007 05:34 PM

I live in Alabama and as you may expect the Natalie story is still big news. Don't blame Aruba or it's citizens for this. People forget that a large part of the population turned out for a massive search of the island - the government there even declared it a day off with pay. I personally think she got involved with the wrong people and something bad happened...no different than happens in any American city on any given day.

Dwayne 11-30-2007 06:01 PM

I was discussing this topic recently with some cruise friends. I was pretty angry how the ordeal was handled, and the botched investigation. But I have to agree with Neil as well on this. I can't blame everyone for the screw ups of a few. I really liked Aruba when we cruised there several years ago. I felt pretty safe walking around at night there compared to other islands. Hopefully this fiasco has brought attention and they have learned some things from it.

Dwayne

f-mattox 11-30-2007 06:53 PM

And don't forget, the authorities just re-arrested some of the original "persons of interest" in the case this week. This story is not over yet.

TrvlPro 12-01-2007 11:04 AM

Rick, unfortunately the judge in the case has ordered thier relaese today. The new evidence, whatever it was is apparently lacking. The prosecutors are now new and obviously trying to get it resolved. I hope one day they can. Without a body, statutes of limitations will soon expire for lesser charges they could have persued but if they ever do find a body, there is no statute of limitations on murder. At least there isn't here, don't know about Dutch law.

Cheers, Neil

f-mattox 12-01-2007 01:22 PM

Thank you for the update, Neil. It's very frustrating; we want to see justice done, but don't want a "rush to judgment".