Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2006, 12:19 PM

We are new to cruise-chat and have just about read every entry in here. We are going to take a cruise in 2007 but are uncertain as where to go. We do know that we would like to try something different than the Carribean. At first we thought Hawaii then we thought about Tahiti. Now we are thinking Europe/Italy. Any negative or positives to any of these places. We are open to anything. Thanks for any HELP!
Old 10-28-2006, 12:32 PM

I would recommend you go talk to a cruise oriented Travel Agent. They can qualify you to what your expectations are, match you with a cruise line in your price range, and what type of experience you are looking for. Tahiti was one of my favorite cruises. However; it is a long flight to get there, and the ships that sail there are premium cost. Hawaii has NCL America ships sailing 7day round trip cruises sailing right from the islands. However; NCL America is a total different product with American crew, which is totally different than sailing on a ship with International crew. The ships that sail to Hawaii with International crew have to leave from the States and then you have a longer crew and many days at sea. A 7day out of Italy might be nice for your first cruise or maybe even a 7day out of California to the Mexican Riviera if you are just looking for something different than the Caribbean. I really think a good Travel Agent can help you sort it all out.
Old 10-28-2006, 04:41 PM

I agree with cruise fanatic. There are lots of issues for you to consider. I think the most important issue is what is you prefernce. We can only suggest what we like. All your ideas are appealing to me. Have you cruised before? What did you like and dislike about them, see thats the questions a quality travel agent will ask you then he/she will give you educated suggestions based on your likes/dislikes.

St. Martin Hotel Reviews
Old 11-09-2006, 01:38 PM

It seems I have cruised to the Caribbean more than I have visited WalMart and headed there one more time...for Thanksgiving. After reviews and talking to many others, our next cruise will definitely be a Meditteranean Sea itenerary out of Barcelona in early June of 07 or 08.

03-11 CCL Triumph
10-10 CCL Triumph
01-10 CCL Triumph
10-08 CCL Fantasy
03-08 CCL Fantasy
10-07 CCL Holiday
03-07 CCL Holiday
11-06 CCL Triumph
03-06 Caribbean Princess
01-04 CCL Victory
09-03 CCL Destiny
05-03 CCL Imagination
11-02 CCL Imagination
01-02 RCCL Rhapsody of Seas
02-01 RCCL Sovereign of Seas
02-00 RCCL Empress of Seas
01-99 RCCL Sovereign of Seas
01-98 RCCL Majesty of Seas
Old 11-09-2006, 02:03 PM
Talk to a TA and give them all the things you like about cruising
If you like beaches stick with the Caribbean or Mexican Riviera, Hawaii etc...

History try Europe ...we loved Norway and the Baltic ...usually more port intensive cruises..
Alexandr Pushkin, Carnival-Holiday, HAL-(old)Westerdam, Orient lines-Marco Polo, Royal Olympic-Olympic, NCL-Dream, Dawn-Princess, ACCL-Grande Caribe, Oceania-Insignia (3), Regatta(4) Marina (1) St Lawrence Cruise Lines-Canadian Empress

FUTURE CRUISES:
Scenic River cruise June 11,2012
Old 11-09-2006, 06:31 PM

My fantasy cruise is Alaska for 14 days. If I do not do that it will be The Baltic Region. I love mountains.

St. Martin Hotel Reviews
Old 11-18-2006, 10:09 AM

I love your question!

We have been on about 10 cruises, including a few short, local cruises as we live within driving distance of the Port of Los Angeles. My husband has been on a couple Caribbean cruises (before me) and I've never cruised the Caribbean, I have cruised to Bahamas once.

So far, our favorite cruises have been to Hawaii, second in line would be Alaska. We're cruising the Mexican Riviera this Christmas and look forward to a Med cruise in the future.

The Caribbean actually doesn't even appeal to me, perhaps because the market seems so saturated there. If we were to cruise there in the future, it would have to be the Southern Caribbean with less ships in port.

Don't forget there are cruises available in Asia and the South Pacific, as well as the Baltics and even Antarctica.

I think it depends entirely on what you are looking to see and do. Narrow your choices down to either sight-seeing, shopping or beach/water activities. Decide on how far away you want to fly from home and what your comfort level is with travelling to distant countries.

While the other side of the world appeals to us, we also would not mind a Paddlewheel up the Mississippi or a US East Coast cruise. Celebrity offers a great sounding Expedition cruise to Galapagos, that sounds like great fun. QM2 with a crossing, followed (or preceeded) with a stay in England is in our dreams.

Go with a choice that excites you and don't put limits on yourself!
Old 11-18-2006, 06:37 PM
I agree with Cruise Fanatic on every point but one: If I'm going to the trouble to fly to Europe I want to cruise longer than seven days. The twelve day Grand Mediterranean on Princess is a great introduction to Europe; just know going in that it's only a "sampler". But it will give you a good taste of a lot of countries and you'll know where you might like to go back in-depth. But again, a travel agent that specializes in cruises is your best ally here.
Enjoy!

Closed Thread