Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2003, 11:59 AM

Here's a dilemma for the more-experienced travelers among us...

When we leave Chicago for our cruise (about two weeks from now), the local temperature will probably be about 10 degrees above zero. Our flight leaves at 6:00am, so we'll be leaving home in the middle of the coldest part of the morning - a full 3.5 hours before sunrise.

Since we'll be visiting sunny, tropical ports like Miami, Nassau and St. Thomas, we really don't want to worry about our gigantic winter coats, gloves, scarves, thermal underwear, etc. My winter coat is black leather and probably weighs close to 10 pounds - it's warm as anything, but exceptionally heavy and bulky.

Anyone have any clever travel tips on how to get to (and from!) the airport without either freezing to death or carrying artic clothing all the way to St. Thomas and back? We'll be hiring a taxi or a limousine, so we can't leave coats "in the car" or anything like that. Do the airports still have lockers, or did they all get torn out after 9/11?

Anybody have any suggestions? We need all that space for suntan lotion (on the way out) and duty-free liquor (on the way home)!

-Scott H
Frigid Chicago
Old 01-14-2003, 11:59 AM

Here's a dilemma for the more-experienced travelers among us...

When we leave Chicago for our cruise (about two weeks from now), the local temperature will probably be about 10 degrees above zero. Our flight leaves at 6:00am, so we'll be leaving home in the middle of the coldest part of the morning - a full 3.5 hours before sunrise.

Since we'll be visiting sunny, tropical ports like Miami, Nassau and St. Thomas, we really don't want to worry about our gigantic winter coats, gloves, scarves, thermal underwear, etc. My winter coat is black leather and probably weighs close to 10 pounds - it's warm as anything, but exceptionally heavy and bulky.

Anyone have any clever travel tips on how to get to (and from!) the airport without either freezing to death or carrying artic clothing all the way to St. Thomas and back? We'll be hiring a taxi or a limousine, so we can't leave coats "in the car" or anything like that. Do the airports still have lockers, or did they all get torn out after 9/11?

Anybody have any suggestions? We need all that space for suntan lotion (on the way out) and duty-free liquor (on the way home)!

-Scott H
Frigid Chicago
Old 01-19-2003, 01:32 PM

The airports no longer have lockers for obvious reasons. Honestly, your only going from the house to the car and the car to the inside of the airport, why do you need your coat. I know its cold but still its really for 5 minutes of wear. I never bring one. I dont even bring a light coat bc there just isnt a need for one down there.
Old 01-24-2003, 03:02 PM

Hi I'm from Canada and its -28 C today. I always wear my coat and gloves to airport. You never know what could happen on the way. I just leave eveything in the car. Its cold when you get back but at least you have it. Have fun in the sunny south.
Old 01-24-2003, 04:11 PM

Scott,try layers. We have "3-season" jackets, over which we wear down or fleece vests - the latter can be packed into your check-thru suitcases (assuming you leave room!) before you check in, or you can carry them until you arrive in Fla., and keep them in your suitcases during the cruise & on the flight home - take them out after claiming your luggage and before going outside to the limo. Gloves can be kept in the vest or jacket pockets, and we use earbands or scarves instead of hats, as they pack flat inside our carryon. If we don't get a warmup by then, you could also wear an extra shirt or sweatshirt under the jacket. With all that on, you'll be a bit cold while outside, but not so bad you'll really freeze. I know, I live in the Chicago area too! Enjoy your getaway!
Old 01-26-2003, 08:43 PM

A possible solution to your question. If you plan pre-cruise night in a hotel near the port,you might consider putting all your heavy clothing in a spare collapsible bag and have the hotel staff stash it away for you until you return. A moderate gratuity will perform wonders and you do not have the bother of lugging your stuff around with you when you go to the ship. A simple suggestion but one that works. Cruiseman.

Closed Thread

Tags
nassau, ogg, port, review, sunny, tom