Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2005, 04:54 PM

I have questions regarding travel insurance which topic, incidentally, Tom covered very thoroughly in his article (thanks for the link, Nancy).

However, as a Canadian,I cannot insure with any of the companies that were mentioned. Can someone recommend - or warn against - a Canada-based travel insurance company. I'd especially like to hear from anyone who has had firsthand experience with a claim or knows of someone who has.

Also, it looks like we may have problems with a claim, should one arise, resulting from pre-existing conditions ie. heart. I already bought a policy at time of booking (cancellation & medical) but there is an exclusion clause where if any diagnostic tests had been ordered, regardless of diagnosis or reason, it would void the claim. Such a test has been ordered for my mom, partly to compare with a previous result. But if she should God forbid run into trouble, we will basically have no insurance. That is, I know, a very simplified version of the story but my point is ..... really, here it is!!... is that standard procedure or should I be hunting for some extra padding. It seems as things are now, if (mom) had an incident, even possibly heart-related, and it was decided to fly her off the ship, we could get stuck with the nightmare bill we hear about.

Advice???

Thanks in advance, Rose
July '06 Tahitian Princess Honolulu to Papeete
Old 08-09-2005, 05:25 PM

Not Canadian so I can't help you with what insurance carriers are available to you - but, I can tell you that every insurance company I am aware of offers a pre-existing clause - which means pre-existing conditions are covered but only if the policy is purchased within a few days of initial deposit (varies from 7-14 days). So, at this point - I think you may be out of luck. Unless there is a Canadian firm that offers protection different than here in the states.
Cindi
Old 08-10-2005, 03:36 PM

My understanding (...) is that cancellation ins. has to be purchased at time of booking but medical ins. can be bought right up to departure time.

In which case I may scout around for something additional unless, as you say, most all of them have the pre-existing clauses. We are OK on all counts except for the bit about investigative tests. If I can find a company that doesn't specify that part, we'd be alright.

Otherwise, it will be like travelling without insurance. Other than, of course, non-heart-related incidents. Oh, dear...

Where do the rest of you stand on this? Any of you that have shaky health or fall between the cracks on the exclusion issue: Do you take a chance and go anyway? There's a part of me that says, what the heck, she can't sit in her safe little recliner the rest of her days, but another part says, do we really want to put their entire estate at risk? (my 90 yr old dad is still living as well)

Looking forward to hearing from you on this,
Rose
July '06 Tahitian Princess Honolulu to Papeete

Closed Thread