Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2007, 07:34 PM

Last week we cruised to Alaska, had a mini-suite which we booked through the cruiseline's website about 7 months ago. On the other hand, three other family members booked a mini-suite on this same cruise only 5 or 6 weeks prior to sailing, but booked through a travel agency. They were told the ship was almost full and that they were lucky to get a mini-suite at this late date. Strange thing is, they got upgraded to a suite, which was about twice the size of our room, free laundry service, free internet service, free champagne, fresh bowls of fruit everyday, free soft drinks, free liquor, etc. We were happy they got upgraded since there were 3 of them, and they could use the extra space, but wouldn't it make sense that if someone is to get an upgrade, it would be the ones who had booked earlier? Or could it be that using a travel agency gives you an edge where upgrades are concerned. Any thoughts on this?

Lanie
Old 05-25-2007, 08:38 PM

Hi LanieB, Last minute bookings are often offered as what is called a "Guarantee" or "Run of Ship" booking. This means the cruiseline takes all their remaining inventory at and above the category listed for the price and sells it "To be assigned". These bookings are the most likely to be the cabins upgraded. Often incredible upgrades occur with these bookings. They are literally selling the rate and not concerned with the cabin assignments, they just want to fill the ship.

If they actually booked a cabin assignment and got that much of an upgrade I'd be surprised. It could happen since there were 3 pax if they over sold their triple occupancy mini-suites.

I always book "Guarantees" if they are offered. You're guaranteed at least what you paid fof with a pretty good posibility of getting something better. For those who have motion issues and don't want to take the chance of being at the front or back of the ship, probably not a good idea.

Cheers, Neil
Old 05-25-2007, 10:15 PM

Hi Lanie
I just found out today that the cruise I booked through the HAL represetnative, not a TA, would not be considered for an upgrade. Why we ask, because when I booked, I selected a cabin style and number and the upgrade option had been turned off of my reservation.
If upgrades where offered, I wouldn't have been considered. I have since changed my reservation to a guaranteed VB cabin. Just like TrvlPro said, I'm now guaranteed a VB cabin or possible a visit from the upgrade fairies.
I hope you had a great time in Alaska! I can't wait for August.
Old 05-26-2007, 06:26 AM

Thanks for the replies. Talk about your upgrade fairies! We'll definately book a "guaranteed" category in the future. Doesn't make any difference to us about the location of the cabin. Actually, the more rocking of the ship the better.

Lanie
Old 05-26-2007, 11:58 AM

By the way on this same topic... HAL has a really cool button on there booking engine system. It used to be optional on the system I use but now the system forces you to address it before completing the booking. Says simply choose one of these and the choices are "Want to be considered for complimentary upgrades" or Don't want to be considered for complimentary upgrades". If your agent doesn't ask they're not doing their job properly.

Why would anyone answer no? Many are traveling with a group and want to keep their group/family together on the ship. In that case these cabins would not be considered. If you want to be considered it's a click of a bottun away. If you book into a "Guarantee" you're automatically considered but the button still has to be selected to finalize and get you a booking #. I hope the other cruise lines will follow suit, it's a good program.

Cheers, Neil

Closed Thread