Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2008, 07:03 PM
Banned

I've been looking at purchasing a cruise ship condo on the Magellan but I'm conerned that Spending 2 years traveling around the world might get a little bit tiresome. So has anyone gone on a long cruise and actually was glad it was finally ending? I could just use it a few weeks each year until I retire and rent it out when not using it, but I'm also thinking that insted of spending the money on a cruise ship condo, I can just go on different commercial ships to keep things changing.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:21 PM
The longest cruise so far was 32 days.
We did not want to get off.
I know some people do the world cruises at 100+ days but cannot imagine 2 years on a ship.

I guess if you have that much money to spend on a cabin it is just a matter if you can spend that much TIME on board.

I would try a long cruise to see how much you like extended cruising before committing to buying a condo on board.

Enjoy...whatever choice you make
Alexandr Pushkin, Carnival-Holiday, HAL-(old)Westerdam, Orient lines-Marco Polo, Royal Olympic-Olympic, NCL-Dream, Dawn-Princess, ACCL-Grande Caribe, Oceania-Insignia (3), Regatta(4) Marina (1) St Lawrence Cruise Lines-Canadian Empress

FUTURE CRUISES:
Scenic River cruise June 11,2012
Old 04-17-2008, 09:31 PM

Sodey this is such a personal decision, I think it's hard for anyone to advise you. Some people love cruising but can't stand being on a ship longer than 7 days. Some can cruise for 120 days on a world cruise and hate going home and getting off the ship.

Also, buying a condo and living onboard is different from going on a vacation and trying to do as much as you can in a limited amount of time. It's like someone who goes to Hawaii and says, "I can't believe people live here. It must be like being on vacation every day." But in reality, those who live there have a routine and have to work and don't have the same experience as someone on vacation.

My parents own an apartment in New York City, in which they used to live before moving to Florida. They used to go back to NY frequently, but not so any more. They use the apartment a few days a year. But they won't hear of selling it and staying in a hotel the few days they're in Manhattan, and they don't want to rent it out. Their kids and grandchildren use it when we go to NY, and they have a few friends who have stayed there, but to them, it's worth holding on to it to have their own home when they go back to NY. It's a personal decision, just as yours will be.

Sandy
Old 04-18-2008, 08:35 AM

Can you imagine a 2-year cruise on Carnival?? At the end of the cruise your gratuities to the stateroom and dining room stewards would total $14,600. And if you are interested in the soda card it would set you back $4380.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:52 AM

The longest has been 21 days and I was not ready to leave. It was like it had just begun and it was over. I truthfully think I could live on board. I met a lady on the Sea Princess that had lived on board for 17 years, more now, but she absolutely loved it. She had a couple of apartments in various places that she would stay when she needed to go to doctors, but other than that, she was on board one of the ships in the fleet.

I'd personally love it, but as Sandy said, it is a very personal decision. Best wishes and let us know what you decide.
Old 04-18-2008, 01:40 PM

I saw a special on TV about a similar ship- the ResidentSea- and they showed that it is different from a regular cruise ship- not as much entertainment- the main draw is a room or apartment that travels from port to port- not so much to do on board as on a regular cruise ship- you make your own entertainment or go to things on shore- is the Magellan like the ResidentSea?
Old 04-19-2008, 09:14 PM
Banned

Yes, you can buy a 1,2,3 or 4 bedroom condo and can buy the whole thing or as little as one month each year. You basically are getting a 100 year lease. You can buy your food on board or eat in the restaurants but you pay for everyhing. When not using it, the company ties to rent your condo out to give you some revenue but nothing is guaranteed. The cheapest 2 bedroom condo costs about $4,000,000 with a monthly maintenance of about $10,000 . One month ownership is bout $400,000 so for that kind of money, you need to use it. Unless of course you have all the money in the world.

Tom
Old 04-20-2008, 03:41 PM
The longest time I spent on one cruise was 7 days. They were the last two cruises I was on. Compared to other members here, I am still relatively new to cruising, having been on 4 cruises in the past 4 years.

Those cruise ships which have condos where you can live onboard sound really interesting. Maybe I can purchase such a condo, if only I can match all six numbers in the weekly state lottery
Old 04-26-2008, 10:51 AM

Hi
The most cruise ime we have done is 16 nights and we are still not ready to finish dream of doing a much longer one like 100+ but will have to wait till we win the lottery or my husband retires, over here I have neither seen or heard anything about these condo's do they sell them for the uk market and if so where would we get the information from? following the topic with interest
Julie
Old 04-26-2008, 02:44 PM
Banned

go to: www.residentialcruiseline.com And look up the Magellan.

Tom

Closed Thread

Tags
buy, carnival, condo, cruise, cruises, days, longest, onboard, product, ship, sodemann, stay, time, tom, viral, whats, world