Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2008, 08:04 PM

I hope some of you more experienced cruisers can provide some insight...I've cruised 2x on the Disney Magic. I'm a single mom and my DS will be 13, almost 14 in November. Another single mom & I, also with her DS, aged 14, are torn between doing Disney Magic again, or the Mariner of the Seas in November. I guess I'm so used to the Magic, I know what to expect. Pricewise, the Mariner wins hands down, but since it's a bigger ship, I'm just a little concerned with 2 teenagers! I understand with RC they don't have "check-in" like Disney does. Can anyone offer any comparisons between the two, or recommendations if they were in my shoes?
Thanks in Advance!
Old 01-25-2008, 08:44 AM

Hi BrandysMom, I am a mother of 3, (11, 13, and 15years old). I can only speak for RCCL but we love it and there is so much for the kids to do, rock climbing, skating, basketball, golf, teen club..... We have been on 2 different ships and are going on the Navigator in April. We never had a problem with the "check-in"...the kids knew what time they were to be in the room in the evening. I def think you would not be disappointed!
Old 01-25-2008, 09:11 AM

We have also done the Disney Magic and Mariner of the Seas with a teenager and a six year old. The Mariner is a really fabulous ship, our six year old nephew just loved the "kids club" and was not happy when we took him out to go onto shore! Our teenage nephew met some kids his own age (that difficult 15 y/o) and they pretty much hung out together just walking around the ship trying to look cool. There are so many activities on the Mariner plus the inside promenade looks just like a street complete with shops, pub, wine bar, "cobblestones and street lights". They do a parade twice a week right down the "street". Give it a try, I think Disney is better for younger kids or real Disney-holics! Have a great trip.
Old 02-17-2008, 05:19 PM

We have been on the Disney Wonder and the Mariner and I just know your entire family would love the Mariner! Its a beautiful ship and there is so much to do for the kids. Our boys (age 12) at the time did just fine, we would check in on them or they had to report back to us at certain times..ect. When we went on the Wonder we went with there cousins and they did have a ball! We are all traveling again this July on the Enchantment of the Seas, its being with family/friends that makes the trip extra special!I will say that I thought the food was better on the Wonder (my parents thought so too). Whatever you decide have a great time!
DCL Wonder 2007
RCL Enchantment of the Seas 2008
Princess Diamond 2009
RCL Oasis of the Seas 2010
Old 02-17-2008, 05:26 PM

The funny thing is, Mariner for a week is about the same cost as a 3 or 4 day Disney Wonder cruise and has better ports. If you look at Disney Majic for a week from the same port it's normally significantly higher than Mariner. I know there are those as a previous poster who'd done both said that are Disney-holics but unless your children are very young I think Mariner is a better choice and better value.

Cheers, Neil
Old 02-17-2008, 05:34 PM

I guess I should also admit a bias against Disney. I loathe there cruise opperation (I know that's a strong word) but I really do hate them as an agent who has to deal with them. They are the only company I've ever had the misfortune of dealing with that not only will set up their policies and pricing to disadvantage T/As (even those of us who help them fill their ships every week) but do some really underhanded and intentional things in the process. I won't go into detail as they don't affect the cruising public but those who are in the industry who have long term and constant contact with them have become less than happy with their practices and policies to put it mildly.

Cheers, Neil
Old 02-18-2008, 05:59 AM

Well, Neil... There is only one way to put a stop to Disney... a 7-foot long mouse trap.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:22 PM

RCCL is great and the kids will love it.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:56 PM

I couldn't handle all those dang puppets!
Old 02-21-2008, 12:58 PM

Wait a minute. Obviously you love you kids and want to be on vacation with them, but do you really want to be on vacation with EVERYONE else's kid? At least on the Mariner it is a mixed demographic. There are other reasons to be on the ship, like honeymoon, retiree groups, etc. than because you are in some way attached to a child. My kids have found plenty to do and plenty of kids on RCCL and so far the adults have always outnumbered the kids. This is my vacation too!
RCCL Explorer 2003, 2005
RCCL Navigator, 2004, 2007
RCCL Mariner 2006
RCCL Liberty 2008
RCCL Adventure 2009

Read and post cruise reviews

Closed Thread

Tags
diney, disney, magic, mariner, rccl, reviews, seas, vs