Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2008, 04:06 PM
I plan to go on my 5th cruise in December.

I have narrowed my choices down to 4.

I orginally wanted to post this question in a "Poll" form so everyone could vote on my choices. However, I was informed that I do not have the "priveledges" to post a Poll.

Anyway, let me explain something first: When I put question marks on both sides of a word, that means I never been there, or been on that particular ship, or that particular cruise line.
Therefore: ?Costa? means I never cruised on Costa cruise lines. ?Aruba? means I never been to Aruba.

So, anyway, here are my four choices (not in any particular order of preference):

Cruiseline: ?Celebrity?
Ship: ?Infinity?
Region: Western Caribbean
Length: 4 days
Sail Date: Dec. 3rd
Intinerary:
  • departs ?Ft.Lauderdale?
  • ?Key West? (7AM to 2PM)
  • Cozumel (10AM-7PM)
  • returns to ?Ft.Lauderdale?[/list]Final Price: $559

Cruiseline: ?HAL?
    Ship: ?Veendam?
    Region: W. Caribbean
    Length: 7-days
    Sail Date: Dec. 7th
    Intinerary:
    • departs Tampa
    • ?Key West?(11:30AM-6:30PM)
    • ?Belize City?(8AM-6PM)
    • ?Santo Tomas De Castilla, Guatemala?(6AM-6PM)
    • ?Costa Maya?
    • returns to Tampa[/list]Final Cost: $774
      Question: Does this ship have a small safe in each room?

Cruiseline: ?NCL?
      Ship: ?Pearl?
      Sail Date: Dec.7th
      Itinerary:
      • departs Miami
      • ?Roatan, Honduras?(8AM-5PM)?
      • ?Belize City?(8AM-5PM)
      • Cozumel(8AM-5PM)
      • ?Great Stirrup Cay, Bahamas?(9AM-6PM)
      • returns to Miami[/list]Final Price: $573

Cruiseline: Carnival
        Ship: ?Liberty?
        Itinerary:
        • departs Miami
        • Cozumel(8AM-10PM)
        • Grand Cayman(7:30AM-4:30PM)
        • ?Ocho Rios, Jamaica?(8AM-3:30PM)[/list]Final Price: $524

So, which one of the four listed cruises would you reccomend? Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 10-12-2008, 04:06 PM
I plan to go on my 5th cruise in December.

I have narrowed my choices down to 4.

I orginally wanted to post this question in a "Poll" form so everyone could vote on my choices. However, I was informed that I do not have the "priveledges" to post a Poll.

Anyway, let me explain something first: When I put question marks on both sides of a word, that means I never been there, or been on that particular ship, or that particular cruise line.
Therefore: ?Costa? means I never cruised on Costa cruise lines. ?Aruba? means I never been to Aruba.

So, anyway, here are my four choices (not in any particular order of preference):

Cruiseline: ?Celebrity?
Ship: ?Infinity?
Region: Western Caribbean
Length: 4 days
Sail Date: Dec. 3rd
Intinerary:
  • departs ?Ft.Lauderdale?
  • ?Key West? (7AM to 2PM)
  • Cozumel (10AM-7PM)
  • returns to ?Ft.Lauderdale?[/list]Final Price: $559

Cruiseline: ?HAL?
    Ship: ?Veendam?
    Sail Date: Dec. 7th
    Intinerary:
    • departs Tampa
    • ?Key West?(11:30AM-6:30PM)
    • ?Belize City?(8AM-6PM)
    • ?Santo Tomas De Castilla, Guatemala?(6AM-6PM)
    • ?Costa Maya?
    • returns to Tampa[/list]Final Cost: $774
      Question: Does this ship have a small safe in each room?

Cruiseline: ?NCL?
      Ship: ?Pearl?
      Sail Date: Dec.7th
      Itinerary:
      • departs Miami
      • ?Roatan, Honduras?(8AM-5PM)?
      • ?Belize City?(8AM-5PM)
      • Cozumel(8AM-5PM)
      • ?Great Stirrup Cay, Bahamas?(9AM-6PM)
      • returns to Miami[/list]Final Price: $573

Cruiseline: Carnival
        Ship: ?Liberty?
        Itinerary:
        • departs Miami
        • Cozumel(8AM-10PM)
        • Grand Cayman(7:30AM-4:30PM)
        • ?Ocho Rios, Jamaica?(8AM-3:30PM)[/list]Final Price: $524

So, which one of the four listed cruises would you reccomend? Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 10-12-2008, 05:15 PM
CORRECTION:

As for the Carnival Liberty intinerary, I should have written "returns to Miami" as the final bulleted item.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:44 AM

Frase,
I think you have to ask yourself the question what it is you want to experience with this cruise. Is it seeing a new ship? Experiencing a new cruise line, or is it seeing new ports? What's more important to you? Cost is also a consideration, but if any of the above satisfies your needs then cost may not be a factor. It looks like HAL would be a lot of new experiences for you.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:10 AM

Celebrity is only a 4 day, so for me, that's out. Of the 7 day cruises, HAL is the most expensive, but offers you a new ship and a new cruise line. HAL really offers a great cruise experience, clean ship, professional crew. Least expensive Carnival, only 1 port you haven't been to and only 3 ports of call. Mid range, NCL. 3 ports you haven't been to, 4 ports of call. New cruise line. NCL offers a good product, too. Clean ships, freestyle dining, good crew. I personally have not been to Guatemala, so that sounds interesting to me. Belize is great for snorkeling or cave tubing. I loved the reef there. I want to go back to Roatan, I really enjoyed it. Key West is great, especially if you like a laid back place. You can walk the main strip and go from bar to bar, shop to shop, and observe some of the most unique culture in the United States. Costa Maya-similar to Cozumel, just not as many tourist traps, nice beach. Ocho Rios-Jamaica is a beautiful island, but very poor and some of the locals are very pushy. Dunns River Falls is fantastic, and an island tour is great. There are lush gardens, Fern Valley, and there are some old plantations, rum mills, and sugar mills there. Great Stirrup Cay, NCL's private island, nice beach, plenty of chairs available, nice swimming/snorkeling area. Now, I bet that didn't help a bit I'd probably do NCL or maybe HAL, if money wasn't the factor.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:25 AM
Thank you Cruise Fanatic and Penny.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:59 PM

Frase, are you trying to build loyalty points with any one line? I built myself up to VIP in Carnival, then I built myself up the ladder in RCCL... now, I am using multiple trips on the Holiday to build my wife and her family up to VIP. Then I guess it will be back to RCCL (unless, I have to pay for every steak and lobster)
Old 10-13-2008, 04:17 PM

Wow, you have four great cruises to choose from. Is it really hard for a stranger to make a recommendation, because I don't know what types of things interest you. Do you like freestyle dining? Extraordinary Service? Formality? Particular excursions? As you can see, I have only added to your questions instead of answering any of yours, but hopefully, this will help you in your decision. Happy Cruising!

MamaofEnS
Carnival Ecstasy June 2002
Carnival Elation August 2000
Celebrity Century June 1998
Carnival Carnivale August 1993

Old 10-13-2008, 06:11 PM
Dr. Livingston (I presume ) :

I am not sure if I want to build loyalty points. If so, it would be with Carnival since I cruised on three of their ships:
- Inspiration (Oct. 2005)
- Carnival Glory (Nov. 2006)
- Carnival Triumph (Nov. 2007)
I wonder how many more Carnival cruises I will need to take before I build myself to VIP?
My very first cruise was in 2004, onboard RCCL's Sovereign of the Seas. You guessed right... I limit myself to only one cruise per year.

MamaofEnS:

I have never been on an NCL cruise, so I am not sure what "Freestyle Cruising" is. I heard it has something to do with eating dinner when you want to, not at the usual assigned time. I don’t know if there is more than that to “Freestyle Cruising”.

Extraordinary Service?….No…. just sufficient service; and I am not that picky or “high maintenance”.

Formality?….No, the first and only time in my life I wore a tux was at my sister’s wedding. During the formal nights on my past cruises, I always wore a suit and tie.

Particular Excursions?…Not really…. My favorite shore excursion is a simple/general guided tour of the port of call. Nothing requiring too much action or physical activity. So long as I learn something new and have a few photo ops, I am happy.

Don’t worry, you did not add any more questions then I already had. And yes, it will help me in my decision making.

For the two of you:

Thank you both for your replies to this post.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:40 AM

Frase, I think it takes 10 Carnival cruises to become VIP. It sounds like NCL might just be fine for you. They don't have a formal night. They do have on board activities, though. The freestyle is that is more relaxed atomosphere and you do have different dining rooms to select from. They do have extra fee restaurants, too. I did see quite a few people dress up for dinner on our NCL Sky cruise, which I like, but did not see any tuxedos or formal gowns. HAL is much more elegant and more formal for dinner. Isn't it fun trying to pick the right one, it be even more fun if we could go on all of them. I'm going to keep playing to lottery

Closed Thread