Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2009, 04:41 PM
My cruise on the Carnival Freedom leaves in February. My travel agent booked the Fly Aweigh through Carnival. I fly from Bangor,Maine to Detroit to Miami and shuttle to Ft Lauderdale. Anyone else have connections as nutty as these?
Old 12-26-2009, 04:58 PM
Administrator

That's how it can go when you use cruise line air. Their contracts with the airlines can make for some lousy flights.

Does Carnival have custom air deviations, such as what Royal Caribbean and the others have?
Old 12-26-2009, 05:07 PM
I don't know, Dave. I usually fly to Boston and then a direct flight to Florida. I don't get this one. Detroit????
Old 12-26-2009, 05:14 PM

I don't quite get it either. I usually do research before hand, and if it's significantly cheaper, I book my airfare independently, which is what I have done my past 2 cruises. I know Royal Caribbean offers custom air arrangements to those that are eligible (Diamond Members, for example), but I don't know about Carnival.
2013 - Golden Princess (Alaska, roundtrip from Seattle)
Old 12-26-2009, 09:26 PM

Those are some crazy connections. I haven't used Carnival's Fly Aweigh program for several years. In the FAQ section on their site they mention Custom Fly Aweigh Services in a sub link Here.

I usually book my air independently if I have to fly. They do have some wording about being responsible to fly you to your destination, including additional flights and/or hotels at no cost to you if you use the service from what I understood.

Dwayne
Old 12-27-2009, 04:50 AM
Administrator

Not that I'm trying to defend the cruise lines... yet, when I book my own air (whether for business or pleasure), I find some pretty crazy connections directly from the airlines. One common one is a Boston to Miami (or is it Fort Lauderdale?) through Chicago. One airline has a route where there is a connection through New York with 20 hours between flights. So, even when booking your own flights, be careful.
Old 12-27-2009, 06:48 AM
Banned

This reminds me of my "all around the world to get there" story.

We were booked independently but were using FREE points to fly (4 of us 25,000 miles each) from Memphis to Anchorage on Delta.

They flew us from Memphis to Cinncinatti then from there to Atlanta and then from Atlanta to Anchorage.

This was the week of July 4th...so I was so nervous because one connection did not have a lot of time.

of course, we had insurance, but missing a connection with a child with Autism is not ideal. (they do not handle last minute changes very well)

We made it just fine....but it was stressful.
Old 12-27-2009, 07:57 AM

Well I guess I'm one of the few that lives near an airport that is a hub for an airline, so I've had direct flights to the embarkation port both times.

The connection stories remind me of last Christmas, when my cousin was supposed to go home to the Portland, Oregon area from Boston. It must have been the fare, because she had to go Boston to Minneapolis to Spokane, WA to Portland. Luckily she made it, and we were all concerned with the winter weather I think last year that impacted most flights, and before she even flew, she posted on a social networking site that picking that route may have been a bad idea, and my other cousin (her brother), responded something like "Didn't I tell you this might be a bad idea?"
2013 - Golden Princess (Alaska, roundtrip from Seattle)
Old 12-27-2009, 12:35 PM

Papa55,
That route doesn't sound so crazy. You must always go through a hub. It sounds like you're on a Northwest flight. Their hubs are DTW, Minneapolis, and Memphis. Your connection for an onward flight to MIA or FLL are more frequent out of DTW. The cruise line often uses either MIA or FLL for cruises out of either port.
Old 12-27-2009, 04:34 PM
If you say so Cruise Fanatic...I have been on 3 cruises that all left from Florida and I always flew to Boston first and then Florida. Tampa, Orlando & Miami.

Closed Thread

Tags
air, atlanta, aweigh, carnival, carnivals, celebs, connections, crazy, cruise, fare, fly, orlando, program, reviews, supplements