Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2008, 11:51 AM

It looks as though the new regulations for 2009 will result in an increase for all ships leaving from California. They're making it almost impossible for the cruise industry to make a profit these days.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...,2501931.story
Old 07-26-2008, 12:23 PM
California is rapidly making it difficult for any business to make a profit here.

What gets me is a ship going from San Diego or Los Angeles to Hawaii or Mexico is only going to need the more expensive fuel for the first and last 24 miles. Does anybody know if a ship can carry two grades of fuel and can they switch between them in route?
Old 07-26-2008, 12:44 PM

California has been in the forefront on many things. Taxing and regulating land based industry out of the state. Changing the rules on removeing underbrush to prevent forest fires from spreading uncontrolled. Ignoring or hindering federal immigration laws, including on repeat illegal criminal offenders. Providing benefits from their tax payers to those who don't contribute to the tax system. Preventing drilling offshore. Preventing new power plants and refineries with regulations that make it impossible to build, even though their power needs are among the highest in the nation. Rail systems that are among the costliest in the world but with no passengers to fill them and pay back the cost of the project.

It makes total sense that they are also the state that will regulate the shipping industry out of their ports. Washington, Oregon and ports south of the border have to be thrilled with this new proposal. I expect there will be major expansions of their ports, highways and shipping facilities in the very near future.

Cheers, Neil
Old 07-26-2008, 01:14 PM
So, um, Neil; I guess I can take that to mean you won't be moving out here anytime soon?
Old 07-26-2008, 01:19 PM

Lol, nope Rick. I love the natural beauty of your state and watched a special on the building of the Pacific Coast Highway the other day. It got me really wanting to plan a road trip the length of that scenic trip. I'd love to visit but you won't ever find my residential address there.

Cheers, Neil
Old 07-26-2008, 01:44 PM

Rick - We were in SF a few weeks ago & were shocked at the high prices (grocery store, hotel, transportation, etc. Is this the same thing in the southern part of the state? Even as far away as Yosemite we could see the difference.
I glad I don't live out there. Prices are high in my area compared to the northern US but Calif is out of sight.
Old 07-26-2008, 02:24 PM
The Bay Area is notoriously high; much higher than the rest of the state. But then it is also very desireable. With beautiful Marin County right across the Bridge and Silicone Valley just to the South. the demand is sky high--just like the prices.
Old 07-26-2008, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TrvlPro:
Lol, nope Rick. I love the natural beauty of your state and watched a special on the building of the Pacific Coast Highway the other day. It got me really wanting to plan a road trip the length of that scenic trip. I'd love to visit but you won't ever find my residential address there.

When you make that drive, choose where you fill up very carefully. I forget the name of the town, but it usually has gas for about$1.00 more than anywhere in the state.
I remember growing up as a kid. a forest fire would hit the Sierra's. The the loggers would come in and clean up the mess and re forest. No that is a big no no. they have to let "Nature take her course".
That is not good IMHO.It just takes too long for the areas to recover plus if leaves it open for floods and washout.

Cheers, Neil

Old 07-26-2008, 06:49 PM

Well, Mexico is just licking their chops. Their President has been talking about a major port investment just south of Cal. They will be happy to take the business from CA, and than they will ship the cargo up to CA (at higher prices) with nice polluting trucks. Meanwhile, the wise folks in CA will lose tens of thousands of good paying jobs. Sure makes sense to me.

Hank
Old 07-26-2008, 07:27 PM
Gary and Hank, you are both right on the money. I don 't know why this State has to learn everything the hard way. Even the unions are against these unreasonable pollution controls; they see the handwriting on the wall.

Closed Thread