Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2005, 10:08 AM

We are wondering what experience people have had with using bonine versus scopolamine patches to prevent seasickness. One of us can read while traveling in a car and the other gets motion sickness very easily. Would appreciate any advice.

Edit: Moved to General Cruise Chat. RF
Old 11-09-2005, 01:45 PM

I asked my father, who is a physician, this question and he advised my husband and I to use the scopalamine patch. Less side effects and they last for 3 days straight. He said it is important to apply it behind your ear before you get on the ship and it can remain for 72 hours (lasts even through showers). Then you remove it and reapply a new patch behind the other ear.
Only problem with the patch is that is does require a prescription, but most physicians that are familiar with your care shouldn't have a problem writing a script for you.

Adrienne
Old 11-12-2005, 09:35 AM

I have used the scopolamine patch for years. I have tried bonine and other over the counter pills and have found all of them make me so tired that I can't enjoy myself at all. The only side effects I have noticed from the patch are dry mouth and distal blurred vision.
Old 11-12-2005, 11:44 AM

Thanks for your input.
Old 11-12-2005, 02:11 PM

Some of our fellow passengers on a cruise had trouble getting the patches to stay on when they showered. We have used Bonine with good results, and haven't felt very sleepy. I'm sure everyone's body reacts differently to medications. I'd suggest maybe giving Bonine a try before you go, perhaps just before you take a ride in the back seat of a car. If it doesn't make you sleepy, you will probably benefit from it (and it's less expensive than the patch - and you can buy OTC).

I did notice that Bonine made me a little sleepy if I took it when I did not really need it. However, if I took it when first feeling bothered by the ship's motion, I felt fine.
Old 11-12-2005, 03:52 PM

I have always been bothered by motion sickness.
Years ago when I started to cruise I used the patch. They were always too strong. I tried to cut them in half & that was better, but, still had side effects.
Used dramamine sometimes, and when Bonnine came out I used that instead.
Now on cruise ships I do not need any medication. But, if I am on a smaller boat do take it.

As Karen mentioned everyone reacts differently to medication.
Many take ginger for their remedy.

Good Luck.

Link to my webshots:
http://community.webshots.com/user/s...host=community
Old 11-21-2005, 08:59 PM

My husband (who gets motion sickness easily) used Bonine at Disneyland (yes, for the rides!) and it worked great for him! No side effects, it was "non drowsy" (said on the box and it did not make him one bit tired) and he was not sick at all!!
Old 11-27-2005, 06:11 PM

My wife has had problems with motion sickness but found the side effects from medication worse than the sickness. Then she discovered wrist bands. They work great for her with NO side effects

Closed Thread

Tags
bonamine, bonine, counter, cruise, dramamine, effects, patch, patches, reviews, scop, scope, scopolamine, scopolomine, seasickness, side