Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2007, 09:10 PM

Can anyone give recommendations for a good place to purchase travel insurance. Also, what level of coverage is recommended??
Old 04-30-2007, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kellymo:
Can anyone give recommendations for a good place to purchase travel insurance. Also, what level of coverage is recommended??
Go to www.insuremytrip.com.
This website will give you quotes from multiple insurance companies with just a few keystrokes. Compare coverage and pick what works best for you. However, once you have made your selection and after you have purchased it, be sure the real the policy thoroughly so that you will understand what is included and what is excluded. Most insurance companies give you a 10-14 day "free look" which means you can cancel within that time period with no charge or penalty. Insuremytrip has great customer service and very fast response time.

I have purchased Travel Guard (won't buy from them again), Travelex (upcoming cruise) and CSA (upcoming cruise but great word of mouth).

Good luck and happy cruzin'

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Victory, CCL Imagination, CCL Victory

Past Cruzes: RCCL Navigator, RCCL Majesty, CCL Destiny,
Glory (2007),Liberty (2007), Fantasy (2007), Destiny (2006), PofAm (2005), Inspiration (2005), Fascination (2004), Victory (2004), Fascination (2004), RCCL VOS(2003), Fantasy (1999)
Old 04-30-2007, 01:49 PM

IBCRUZIN' - What did you specifically not like about TravelGuard. I was looking at getting insurance through them for our upcoming cruise. Just curious.

RCCL Viking Serenade - May 10, 1992
Old 04-30-2007, 02:15 PM

I have used Travel Guard for many clients and had wonderful service. They have always paid claims promptly.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:03 PM

My displeasure with Travel Guard stems from their refusal to compensate me for my losses due to the cancelled Fantasy Cruise of 02/10/07. In their laundry list of exclusions was "any loss that was a result of common carrier." A common carrier is everything that moves except your personal automobile. If I had gotten into a fender bender on the way to the plane or ship, I would have been out of luck. The policy I had would not have paid for any medical evacuation if it was caused by "common carrier". In order words, if I had an accident at port or at seas, I woudl have been out of luck.

It was not their fault that I purchased such a useless policy b/c I did not read the policy thoroughly. I figured insurance was insurance. Not so when it comes to travel insurance in general and Travel Guard, in particular. Travel Guard has several different travel ins packages and if you are not careful, you can very well end up with a policy that has a long list of exclusions but a very short list of inclusions. None of the other policies that I have looked at has such a long list of exclusions, nor do they exclude common carrier. That is a worthless policy if you take a cruise b/c most of your time will be spent on a common carrier!!!

Therefore, it is easier just not to deal with Travel Guard again and to go with one of the other companies, many of which are as reputable and financial sound as Travel Guard without all the loopholes.

If you find a Travel Guard policy that covers what you wanted covered, then go for it. However, for ease of mind, I won't be purchasing any more Travel Guard policies. I don't feel like crawling through the maze that is their twisted language of exclusions and exceptions.

Upcoming Cruzes

Glory (2007),Liberty (2007), Fantasy (2007), Destiny (2006), PofAm (2005), Inspiration (2005), Fascination (2004), Victory (2004), Fascination (2004), RCCL VOS(2003), Fantasy (1999)
Old 05-01-2007, 06:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by IBCRUZIN':
My displeasure with Travel Guard stems from their refusal to compensate me for my losses due to the cancelled Fantasy Cruise of 02/10/07. In their laundry list of exclusions was "any loss that was a result of common carrier." A common carrier is everything that moves except your personal automobile. If I had gotten into a fender bender on the way to the plane or ship, I would have been out of luck. The policy I had would not have paid for any medical evacuation if it was caused by "common carrier". In order words, if I had an accident at port or at seas, I woudl have been out of luck.
I certainly learned a lot about travel insurance from the experience of a lot of those Fantasy cruisers.

Sorry our education had to be at your expense, but thanks for sharing so that we can be better prepared in the future!
Old 05-01-2007, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by LHP:
I certainly learned a lot about travel insurance from the experience of a lot of those Fantasy cruisers.

Sorry our education had to be at your expense, but thanks for sharing so that we can be better prepared in the future!
This is why God created forum boards. There is no reason for all of us to learn stuff the hard way. One person learns a lesson or gets a good tip and passes the info on the board. That way everyone benefits.

Luckily, between what Carnival gave me and my OBC credit I was given for my next cruise, I am "whole" and not out any money at all.

Upcoming Cruzes

Closed Thread

Tags
csa, insurance, travel