Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2003, 05:06 PM

Just looking for opinions from experienced cruisers on what month you think is best to explore the Western Caribbean?

This will be our first cruise and I hear not to go anytime between June and November due to rain and hurricane's. Checking out prices for 2004 and so far I have found a price of $559/person for 7 night RC in September. My DW (dear wife) says no, September is bad time to go.

I know this is like asking for a miracle but what is the most affordable month with the nicest weather???

TIA,
Mike
Old 10-26-2003, 05:06 PM

Just looking for opinions from experienced cruisers on what month you think is best to explore the Western Caribbean?

This will be our first cruise and I hear not to go anytime between June and November due to rain and hurricane's. Checking out prices for 2004 and so far I have found a price of $559/person for 7 night RC in September. My DW (dear wife) says no, September is bad time to go.

I know this is like asking for a miracle but what is the most affordable month with the nicest weather???

TIA,
Mike
Old 10-27-2003, 10:11 AM

Mike, there's never a guarantee on the weather, but Aug-Nov are generally the hurricane season, with a greater chance of big storms in the Caribbean. However, big storms can occur anytime. Early in the year (Jan-early Mar), or in May before schools let out, prices often are somewhat lower than during peak times (spring break - which is usually mid-March through April - and summer).

Again, no guarantees. Some of my friends encountered rough seas in March, and I did in January, though the weather was not stormy. We made the best of it and enjoyed it anyhow!
Old 11-04-2003, 08:05 AM

Thanks for the input. We decided on April and are going to booked a RC western cruise for $698 per person including port charges, etc. Tonight it's time to finalize the cruise and put the deposit down. We booked the cruise thru our AAA travel agent and we will use our frequent flyer miles to get to Miami. We will fly down the day before our departure and stay in a hotel overnight.

My question now is... When should I book airfare and the hotel room???
Old 11-04-2003, 08:20 AM
Tom & Mary-Contributing Editors's Avatar

Cruisetime,

The least expensive time and one of the best times to cruise is immediately after Thanksgiving through the week before Xmas.

As soon as you get to the Xmas Holidays through spring, more of cold weather people want to cruise the Caribbean, and the price of a cabin goes up accordingly.

Mary & I have made one after Thanksgiving cruise for the last six years and have alwasy attained very good pricing.

Warm regards,
Tom & Mary

Tom & Mary
(The Honeymooners)
Old 11-04-2003, 02:33 PM

Mike, since you are using frequent flyer miles you will need to do that directly with the airline, and I would suggest checking soon about the availability of seats, as FF mile seats are limited. Be aware that airlines often change schedules and sometimes seating charts frequently, so if you book way ahead, you'll need to check periodically to see about changes. (Often the airlines are kinder to mileage customers and will notify you without you having to ask.)
I recommend asking your travel agent about a hotel for the night before the cruise (good idea to fly the day before!) and also about purchasing travel insurance through a 3rd party company. As you are getting your air tickets separate from the cruise line, if you buy the cruise line's insurance, it will not cover you if you miss the cruise due to a cancelled flight.
Have a great time!!
Old 11-07-2003, 05:32 AM

Well we are pretty much all set for our first cruise. We have booked our 7 day RC cruise through our AAA travel agent and have plunked down the deposit. I am including some of the details incase they may be helpful to someone else.

We also purchased travel insurance through AAA who uses a company called Access America. The Insurance was $55 per person and covers the following:
Trip cancellation/interruption - Amount purchased
Emergency Medical/Dental - $30,000
Emergency Transportation - $50,000
Baggage - $500
Baggage Delay - $200
Travel Delay - $500
Missed Connection - $1000

Total Costs are as follows: (for 2 people)
Cruise: $1198
Port tax: $278
Gov't tax: $58
Transfers: $22
Insurance: $110
AAA service charge: $25
------------------------
*Total: $ 1691.00

(*this does not include airfare)

We have found a Days Inn hotel in Miami that has a free shuttle from airport to hotel and from hotel to port. Cost for room is $70.

Last thing to do is book the flight with our frequesnt flyer miles and pick out a few "Don't Miss" excursions.

Freinds of ours just took the same cruise in May and have invited us to dinner to talk about all they experienced, show us pictures, etc. Can't wait to hear all about it.

C'mon April
Old 11-08-2003, 06:46 AM

What ship are you going on and what ports are you going to visit?

Gwen

Cruising is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you are going to get.
Old 11-12-2003, 09:59 AM

We booked a Western Carribean cruise on the Voyager and we are stopping in Labadee, Ocho Rios, George Town and Cozumel

Update labadee has been changed to coco cay

Closed Thread

Tags
bad, caribbean, cruise, cruisers, month, months, nicest, september, singles, time, wc, weather, western