Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2007, 10:40 AM

How many folks here have formed enduring friendships with people you met on a cruise? (Your fellow cruise-chat friends excluded )It'd be fun to hear a few stories.

I cruised a lot with my parents when I was a teen and met a lot of kids through Adventure Ocean (or the "teen group," as my brother and I always called it.) I am still in touch with someone I met on a cruise in 1998! (Okay, I'm a young'n.. I was only 15 then.) One boy I met on a cruise even ended up going to the same college as me, was in a nearby dorm, and we dated for 6 months!

Since I have been an "adult" I haven't formed any lasting friendships on a cruise, but I hope to one day. Anyone here have a story to share?
Old 08-09-2007, 07:13 PM

In 1991, my in-laws took us on our first cruise. One of the couples at our table was from England. We have remained in touch through Christmas cards all these years.

We have made lasting friendships with several couples on our cruises. One couple lives in Wisconsin (we live in Illinois). They visited us this spring and we hope to get to Wisconsin this fall to see them. The other couples we email a few times a year and we still have hopes of getting together again.

It is so much fun to meet new people and is one of the reasons that we always request a large table when we cruise.

Nadine
Old 08-09-2007, 09:36 PM

Same here. Have met many nice people and exchange Holiday cards over the years. A couple from England also and about 4 other couples as well. We also stay in touch with a few crew members, it is interesting to get emails from them about their vacations and going home etc, and what ship they are on now.

Another couple we met were first time cruisers a few years back. They were at the lido bar trying to pay for drinks with cash. I explained it to them, we are now booked on our 3rd cruise together.

Cruise Friends are the best, even if you don't get to see them but once a year. The anticipation of the cruise and seeing them again is awesome.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:41 PM

I haven't gotten an Independence day card in years!
Old 08-10-2007, 07:03 AM

What happens on da boat, stays on da boat... I always try to remember people but I never can seem to make it past the first week before I forget everyone. I guess it's either early Alzheimers or the last stage of Alabamian alcohol psychosis.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:52 AM

Yes, we are from Southeast Minnesota, and we had a family of 4 sitting across from us that were from the Twin Cities area. We have kept in touch, in fact they are one of the first ones I called after the bridge collapse to be sure they were okay. They were all fine, but on the down side the older gentleman (father and mother went with their daughter and son-in-law, had passed away just a week prior from kidney failure. I was so glad we got to know him in that little time on the ship because he reminded me so very much of my dad. His daughter, Robin, is glad they had taken the cruise last year for the memories.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:21 AM

sometimes you can be friends with someone on a cruise but watch out if they find out where you live and drop in unannounced several times,thats when you wish you hadn,t met them.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:15 AM
Banned

My husband I were seated at a table for 6 on RCCL on our 10 year anniversary cruise in 1997. We dined with a woman and her teenage daughter, at the time. It was a short 4 day out of Miami. The only time we spent with them was at our dinner seating. They were nice enough, but we didn't feel we had a lot in common with them. We exchanged e-mail addresses before we parted ways.

It's been 10 years and this past Easter, she phoned me out of the blue. Considering we didn't spend a lot of time together on the ship and it had been quite some time in between, I was a little dumbfounded when she called me. I never gave her our phone number on the cruise.

We talked for a few minutes and then she informed me that she would be in my area in the coming months and she would like to stay at our home so we could "catch up".

Didn't quite know how to react to that one.

A'ndrea
Old 08-10-2007, 10:50 AM
I would be a little leary about that one, first off like you said how did she get your home number if you didn't give it to her and secondly you haven't heard from her in 10 years and now she wants to stay in your home well I don't know about you but I would tell her about some good hotels/motels in the area and then you all can do lunch one day.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 08-10-2007, 11:08 AM

Have never had that happen, I would feel a little dumbfounded too. I have gotten a few calls saying they would be in the area asking for hotel advice. We help them get a good deal, and have been treated to dinner.

The couple we are cruising with again did surprise us at Christmas, they had a made a calendar with cruise pics of us all. It was really nice to open that package.

Closed Thread