Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2010, 10:57 AM

Even on repeat islands (and we haven't done that many cruises) we can find somewhere else to explore all thanks to the great chats we have reviewed. Even if we don't take a port tour, we, at least, do get off for a short time.

Peterl

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 05-24-2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Even on repeat islands (and we haven't done that many cruises) we can find somewhere else to explore all thanks to the great chats we have reviewed. Even if we don't take a port tour, we, at least, do get off for a short time.
This is true Peter. Like Sandy, I have been to Bahamas umpteen times. But, how do you know if something hasn't changed if you don't check things out. Many say negative things about Jamaica, but if they haven't been off the ship in years and gone out and explored, then how do they know if it's changed or not? Last month in Nassau, I got off the ship to check out the rumor of a new straw market. There isn't; however; they are rebuilding at the site of the original and in the future the straw market will be moved back to it's original location. Several years ago after having been to Nassau many times, I thought I had done everything. I thought the Pirate's Museum sounded cheesy, but decided to give it a try. And was surprised I actually thought it was interesting.
I like to at least get off the ship and walk around a little.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:52 PM

I usually try to at the least go ashore for a few minutes, just to say I was there. Last yr in Nassau we decided to go see the marching flemingos.(I would not recommend it) It was so very very hot. I got scared for myself. We headed straight back to the ship. If we go to a port and it is that hot again I definately will stay on the ship.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:32 PM

I usually go over to Cabbage Beach on Nassau. Last year I was comped to re-visit Blue Lagoon Island. It had been many years since I had been there because of it being damaged multiple times by hurricanes. Boy had it changed. It was wonderful. The tour operator asked me to send a review/report to Carnival as it had been taken off of the Shore Excursion list for a long while. Not sure if my review did the trick, but it was added back a few weeks later.

Blue Lagoon Island Shore Excursion

Dwayne
Old 05-24-2010, 09:49 PM

Not yet, but we also are thinking about it. Maybe in Oct. We have been to the Mexican ports so many times, might be nice to stay onboard and enjoy the peace and quiet.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:31 AM

I don't think I could miss any port, even though I've been to some quite a few times. I love exploring, meeting locals, stopping at local shops, etc. I agree, it's nice to have the ship to yourselves, but I just can't do it. I have come back early and stayed on board, but have never blown off a port entirely. Even when I've been under the weather. I got a really bad cold on one cruise, and stayed in my cabin at night, but still went out during the day.

I guess it's because I miss the ocean so much. I just have to get sand in my shoes, bathing suit, hair, towel, etc.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:59 AM

Quote:
I just have to get sand in my shoes, bathing suit, hair, towel, etc
I know what you mean. After all, it's always Sandy in MY bathing suit.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:50 PM

I will refrain from comment.

Y'all will probably hate me, but I went for a beach walk earlier today. I don't go as often as I should even though I can walk to the beach. I may have to get a golf cart soon as I get pooped out from walking so far and then walking back home.

Like Penny, I like exploring and meeting locals in the ports. It's neat when you re-visit and they remember you.

Dwayne
Old 05-25-2010, 05:31 PM
Administrator

So, it was 80 degrees in the Boston area today, humidity around 50%, and, for some reason I will never understand, I decided to go for a run. (OK, a jog.) Wow, was it brutal. I am not exaggerating when I say that I felt like I was about to pass out. I actually had to stop and sit down. It takes me a while to get used to hot weather. And for us at this time of year, 80 is hot. This reinforced my thoughts of staying in the AC on the ship. Then again, if the pools are closed...

I'm loving the feedback on this thread!
Old 05-25-2010, 05:36 PM
Administrator

We had mid-90's the previous two days...quite warm for May, even in Alabama. It was wonderful today with temps in the low 80's and a nice breeze and low humidity.

Some advice for your stay in Mobile in July...don't jog. Don't even walk fast. It is usually hot and humid.

Closed Thread