Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2008, 03:47 AM
Administrator

This is a nutty idea for several reasons. First, as has been mentioned, we are going to see more pax bringing more carry-ons aboard the plane. There is just so much space in which to store it, so those bins are going to fill up fast. Pax will therefore start boarding the plane earlier than they should (not that many pax pay attention to their boarding groups now). Those who board when they are supposed to will find less, or no overhead space to store a 19-inch rollaboard. Flight attendants will be busy helping pax find storage space, often going to areas nowhere near the pax' seat. Some bags will not make it due to the overcrowding, and will have to be gate-checked. (And they better not charge for that.) So, now we have delays in getting the plane boarded and ready to go.

Once the plane lands, pax whose bag had to be stored in an overhead bin several rows behind them will have to either wait until everyone behind them gets off, or make their way against traffic to retrieve it. Pax whose bag ended up gate-checked will have to wait for it to be unloaded and brought to them. This causes further delays, requiring more mad dashes across the airport to make connecting flights.

Just some of my observations as a somewhat frequent business traveler.

I can understand the issue of the cost of fuel, Nonetheless, it would have made more sense to just add the $15 to everyone's ticket price.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:57 AM

All of this talk has got me measuring my suit cases...I've come to the following conclusions:

1. If I can't make everything fit into my carry ons I'm forgoing the formal attire & eating at the buffet or attending the dr on formal evenings without my suit in hopes of not being barred.
2. My consideration of what cruises to book will be favoring those leaving from Florida since we live there & so far aren't limited but the bus company.
3. If we do fly an airline that has those restrictions in place I'll wear my suit jacket, sweat shirt, etc to reduce my luggage to carry on size if at all possible.

I just heard on the news last evening that Carnival profits were down due to the fuel price increases. I wonder if their recent change in attire ruling will help them out in this situation since it'll be much cheaper & easier to fly to their ships.
Old 05-22-2008, 06:51 AM

I am keeping my fingers crossed that United doesn't go this way. I normally do carry on being a business traveler, but if I have a double trip then sometimes I have to check and if I do personal I am always doing a check-in and carry on.

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 05-22-2008, 09:11 AM

I just heard on Paul Harvey noon news that the other airlines are considering the same charge.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:20 AM

I've already paid too much for my ticket & now the luggage. I heard the $15 for the first bag doesn't happen if you already purchased your ticket. I am assuming the $25 for the 2nd bag does apply. Now I also heard that AA is cancelling several flights so now how will this work if they cancel my flight? I am coming in a day early but does this mean I am on stand by for another flight? This really worries me since I don't want to miss my ship. Does the airlines let you know if the flight has been changed or do I need to keep checking with them?

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 05-22-2008, 09:30 AM
Administrator

They should rebook you to another flight without your having to do anything. However you need to keep track of it. Delta recently changed my flights and didn't tell me. I found out when I got bored and was looking around their website. They had put me on a connection that left an hour before I arrived on the previous flight! I had to call and get it fixed.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:55 AM
Valeries200 - - - definetly check with the airlines... Our last cruise flight was changed with no notice to us - like Dave, I found out by trying to check on it online and didn't see the flight listed. The reservation clerk was very helpful with rebooking flights to and from that meshed with our cruise itinerary. Check now and check often.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:04 AM

I went online to see if my flight is still showing up and it is. Is there an easier way to check this? I am not all that familiar with the airline websites. Thanks!

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 05-22-2008, 10:10 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Is there an easier way to check this? I am not all that familiar with the airline websites.
Not really, other than calling them which can be frustrating. All I can say is you need to gain some familiarity with their website. I do it all online with Delta, to include checking in 24 hours prior to the flight. That way I show up at the airport with my boarding passes in hand.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:15 AM

I went to the website & got a password & was able to check my reserviation. I would assume that if there was any changes it would be shown here, correct? If this is how to do it then I can just keep checking. Thanks all for your help. I am just very nervous after hearing they are going to cancel many flights.

Free Cruise Tickers

Closed Thread